Commercial Motor Vehicle Accident Lawyer in San Antonio Tx
Most people know that big 18-wheelers, or semi-trucks, are considered commercial vehicles. But did you know that commercial vehicles include any vehicle that operates for business purposes rather than personal reasons?
These vehicles can cause extensive damage and harm. If you have been injured in an accident with a commercial motor vehicle in San Antonio, you may be liable to receive compensation for damages. San Antonio, Texas, attorneys at Carabin Shaw will fight for you and your case.What Are Commercial Motor Vehicles?
Commercial vehicles may carry people or products. According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), the general definition of a commercial motor vehicle includes:
- A self-propelled or towed vehicle used to transport goods or people
- Seats to transport more than eight passengers for money or seats to transport more than 15 passengers not for money
- A bed or trailer to transport products or material
In addition to semi-trucks, commercial motor vehicles include delivery trucks, mail trucks, construction vehicles, landscaping vehicles, garbage trucks, street sweepers, buses, and more. Owners and operators of commercial motor vehicles must abide by certain laws, so it is important to understand which vehicles classify as commercial.What Are Requirements for Operating Commercial Motor Vehicles?
Commercial motor vehicles come with more federal regulations than standard vehicles, as well as special Texas state laws. Most commercial vehicles require a special commercial’s driver’s license (CDL) in which drivers must pass knowledge and skills tests. Holding a CDL also comes with unique regulations, including the type of vehicle one is allowed to drive, how many hours they can operate the vehicle, required endorsements for certain cargo, and more.
If an owner or operator breaches any state or federal regulations, they may be guilty of negligence. A commercial motor vehicle lawyer in San Antonio, Texas, knows and understands these laws.What Can You Receive Compensation For?
If you have been injured by a commercial vehicle, money may be the last thing on your mind as you start your road to recover. As the scope of damages become clearer, however, you may worry how you can pay bills for medical expenses. A truck accident attorney in San Antonio has the necessary resources to comprehensively assess your case so you can receive compensation for damages. Damages include:
- Past or future medical expenses
- Lost wages due to inability to work
- Losses in enjoyment of life due to injury
- Pain and suffering, including mental anguish and psychological injury
- Losses for personal disfigurement or scarring
A lawyer will help you build a case by determining the answers to the following questions:
- What caused the accident? Knowing what caused the accident is crucial to understanding who is liable. Interviewing eyewitnesses and reading police reports is one way to determine the cause.
- Who is liable? Was the driver driving too fast? Was the vehicle not properly maintained? Or both? Liability for a San Antonio commercial vehicle accident could go to the driver, vehicle owner, or the company. In some situations, all or a few may be partially liable.
- Is the driver an employee? Some companies contract drivers rather than hire them as employees.
- Is there a criminal investigation? If the driver was engaged in criminal behavior, there may be a criminal investigation of the accident, which can delay access to certain evidence.
- How severe are the damages? The more severe the injuries, the higher the amount of compensation you are likely to receive.
Read through Carabin Shaw’s client reviews to discover how a professional attorney will help you receive the justice you are owed. We offer a free case review / initial consultation and have both English-speaking and Spanish speaking staff available. Call toll free: 800-862-1260. Someone is available to speak with you 24/7