Compensation You Can Receive For Your 18 Wheeler Accident
Accidents between semi-trucks and automobiles are all too common in the Harlingen, Texas area, and very often, people are injured in them. The average 18 wheeler weighs up to 30 times more than a normal car, so an accident can be devastating. If you’ve been injured recently, you may be wondering about the compensation you can receive for your 18 wheeler accident.
Compensation after an 18 wheeler accident is more complex, but the settlements are usually larger than the settlements in a standard car accident. Semi-trucks are commercial vehicles, meaning they carry commercial insurance and are tied to a corporate entity and not just an individual. Truckers also have their own rules and regulations they must follow, which are set by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and are sometimes broken. Since there are more potential defendants in these cases, more rules and regulations, more insurance money, and more injuries, the possible compensation you can receive for your 18 wheeler accident is often much higher than in a standard automobile accident.
If you’ve been injured in an accident with an 18 wheeler, you need an experienced Harlingen 18 wheeler accident attorney on your side. There is too much at stake in these cases to hire anyone but an experienced Harlingen trucking accident attorney. At Carabin Shaw, we’ve recovered over $1 billion for our clients and have 25 years of experience fighting for people like you.How Much Could Your Settlement Be Worth?
To answer this question accurately, we need to break down different areas in a case where compensation can come from. Accident lawyers in Harlingen will seek compensation in the following areas after an accident:
- Medical Bills - Keep an accurate record of all of your medical expenses, including ambulance rides, emergency room trips, medications, surgeries, doctor’s visits, etc. The cost of medical treatment will be a centerpiece of determining your potential settlement.
- Recurring and Future Medical Expenses - Combining any expected future expenses such as regular doctor visits, physical therapy, or prescription medication with the costs of your medical bills can give a rough estimate of what you can expect to receive from this portion of the settlement. Your lawyer will help fight to make sure that these expenses are covered by the people who caused the accident.
- Lost Wages & Lost Earning Potential - If your injuries caused you to miss time from work and therefore lose wages, these lost wages will be considered in the final settlement as well. In addition to actual lost wages, future lost wages will be considered if your injury could prevent you from performing your previous job in the future. Contact an attorney to learn more about lost wages.
- Property Damage - Damages to your vehicle and any other personal property will be taken into account when calculating your potential settlement. Finding a professional to estimate the cost of repairs to your vehicle and speaking to accident lawyers in Harlingen could give you a rough estimate of the compensation you can expert from this piece of the settlement.
- Pain and Suffering - Compensation for pain and suffering seeks to put a financial number on things that are in some ways subjective. Each case will be different and can have different outcomes because of this. Your Harlingen trucking accident attorney will be able to give you a more clear estimate on this portion of the settlement based on the evidence you present to them and their experience with handling similar cases. This type of compensation is unique to each case, so contacting a Harlingen 18 wheeler accident attorney will help you get your clearest picture on what to expect.
If you have been injured in an 18 wheeler accident in Harlingen, Texas, you need someone on your side. You need an experienced and expert lawyer. At Carabin, we’ve got the experience and the grit to get you the money you deserve. To speak to an attorney, call us today at 956-664-7255.