Dallas Car Accident Lawyer | Your Rights After a Car Wreck in Texas
Driving in Texas can be dangerous. Every 71 seconds there’s a crash on a Texas roadway. When you get into an accident in Dallas Tx, you can sustain severe injuries that may seriously impact your life. If you or a loved one has had a Dallas car accident injury, you need someone with experience to fight for you.
A Dallas car accident lawyer can review your case and evaluate how much your case is worth, so you don’t settle for less. At Carabin Shaw, we have decades of experience helping Texans get the justice they deserve. Many people end up with less than they’re owed because they didn’t consult a legal team. We can tell you your rights after a car wreck in Texas, which is the first step in making sure you get what’s yours.Your Rights After a Car Accident
When you’ve been in a car accident in Dallas Tx, you should know your rights. As lawyers, it’s important that our clients understand they have the following rights:
- The right to talk to an eyewitnesses - You are allowed to exchange information with witnesses and get their testimony. You can also encourage these witnesses to share their account of the wreck with the police so their perspective will be documented in the official police report.
- The right to remain silent - People typically think of the right to remain silent when you’re arrested for a criminal act, but it also applies to car accidents. There’s nothing in the law that requires you to discuss the wreck with the other party or the other party’s insurance company. If you have to talk to them, it’s always best to consult an attorney beforehand.
- The right to seek medical attention - After a car wreck, you may have injuries. You always have the right to be treated for those injuries.
- The right to compensation for your injuries and other damages - If another party’s negligence caused your injuries and other damages, you have the legal right to pursue a claim against the responsible party.
- The right to contact the police - No matter what the circumstances, you are always allowed to contact the police after an accident. They’ll make an official report, which will be a useful piece of evidence for your Dallas car accident lawyer to make your case.
- The right to document evidence - At the scene of the wreck, you’re legally allowed to take photos of the scene and take notes of any pertinent information regarding the accident.
- The right to legal counsel - When you’ve been in a car wreck, you have the right to obtain legal representation. Working with the best car accident lawyer in Dallas can make a difference in the amount of damages you’re able to obtain.
In addition to knowing your rights after a car wreck in Texas, it’s also useful to know what you shouldn’t do after an accident:
- Don’t leave the accident scene - You should always remain at the accident scene and wait for the police to arrive unless you have serious Dallas car accident injuries that require immediate medical attention.
- Don’t admit fault - Anything you say can be used against you, so avoid talking about the accident, if possible, and never admit fault in any way. If you work with a lawyer, they can speak with other parties on your behalf.
- Don’t agree to settling outside the insurers - The other driver may try to settle with you for cash without reporting the accident. Always report the accident to make sure you get what you’re rightfully owed.
If you need an attorney after a car accident, we can be there for you. Carabin Shaw has won over $1 billion for our past clients and has been named a top 10 law firm in client satisfaction, which means we can get you the justice you deserve. Call today for a free consultation at 1-800-862-1260.