Dangerous Trucking Practices that Lead to Crashes
18 wheelers are a danger to everyone on the road in Colorado. Over the past 10 years, more than 1 million people have been unnecessarily injured due to wrecks with 18 wheelers. Sadly, most of these accidents are due to negligence on the part of the truck driver or the trucking company, which means they could have been prevented.
If you or a loved one was injured in an 18 wheeler accident, a Colorado trucking injury attorney can help you get the compensation you deserve.Common Causes of 18 Wheeler Accidents
Although there are safety measures for 18 wheelers set in place by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), truck drivers and trucking companies often ignore these regulations in favor of profit. This negligence is the basis of many of the dangerous trucking practices that lead to crashes:
- Over scheduling
- The life of a truck driver can be exhausting. They drive hundreds of miles a day over long hours, which can lead to driver fatigue. To curb this problem, the FMCSA has created strict guidelines about how many hours a driver can drive in a day, how long their breaks must be, and the total amount of hours they are allowed to drive in a week. Truckers and trucking companies have to log these hours. Ideally, this system would prevent over scheduling. Too often though, truckers and trucking companies neglect these rules to make more money. When truck drivers are overscheduled, it can cause driver fatigue, which is one of the common causes of 18 wheeler accidents. If a fatigued driver caused your accident, talk to a Colorado truck accident lawyer.
- Driver error
- Truck drivers are very often the direct cause of trucking accidents in Colorado. Truckers must remain alert and cautious at all times, or there could be serious consequences.
- When truckers disobey traffic laws like speeding, they put everyone around them on the road at risk. With the invention of smartphones, more and more wrecks are caused because of texting and driving.
- The taxing lifestyle of a truck driver can also lead to substance abuse. Driving while intoxicated is extremely dangerous and is one of the leading causes of 18 wheeler crashes. To learn more, talk to an attorney.
- Negligent hiring
- An experienced truck driver with a clean driving record is an ideal candidate for a trucking company to hire. Unfortunately, those drivers are few and far between, and to meet demands, trucking companies have to hire inexperienced drivers or drivers who are prone to accidents. When companies knowingly hire inexperienced or accident-prone drivers, they can be held liable for negligent hiring. A lawyer can answer any questions you have.
- Improper maintenance
- 18 wheelers require routine maintenance to ensure their safety on the road. If a mechanic does a poor job or if the trucking company neglects to do routine maintenance, it can lead to catastrophe. Preventable issues like tire blowouts or failing brake pads are some examples of what can happen when safety measures aren’t followed. A Colorado truck accident lawyer can help if your accident was caused by improper maintenance.
Whatever the cause of your accident, an attorney can review your case and determine the right course of action for you.The Right Representation For You: Free Initial Consultation
After an 18 wheeler accident, you need someone by your side. An experienced lawyer can work with you to get the compensation you and your family deserve. Colorado attorney James Shaw is an expert in 18 wheeler cases and knows how to beat big trucking companies to get you justice.
You don’t want to fight trucking companies alone—they always have a team of lawyers whose job is to make sure you get as little money as possible. Do what’s right for you. Call us today at 1-800-555-0101 to speak with one of our Colorado trucking injury lawyers.