Dealing with Insurance Companies After a Trucking Accident
Texas roadways are inundated with semi-trucks, and while these drivers are typically among the best on the road, accidents still happen. If you live in San Antonio and were recently in a crash with a big rig, you are likely overwhelmed with questions about how best to proceed. You might even be wondering, “Where can I find an 18 wheeler accident attorney near me?” Thankfully, Carabin Shaw can help. Our lawyers have extensive experience dealing with insurance companies after a trucking accident, and we know how to get you the compensation you deserve.Determining Fault
In a trucking accident, there are more potential at-fault parties than you might realize:
- The truck driver: Negligence causes most trucking crashes. This careless behavior can include distracted driving, texting while driving, falling asleep at the wheel, and running a red light. If you suspect a truck driver was negligent or reckless, an attorney can help you develop your next steps.
- The trucking company: If the trucking company violated any federal or state regulations or had negligent hiring practices, they might be responsible for the accident.
- The manufacturer: A defective product or vehicle might cause a crash, which puts the manufacturer at fault.
- The cargo company: Overloading or improperly distributing a load can result in an accident. Some trucking companies outsource this labor, which creates another potential at-fault party.
Contacting all of the parties involved in a trucking crash can be challenging, especially as you settle into a new daily routine that balances work and other responsibilities with your healing. If you are looking for the “best 18 wheeler accident attorney near me,” our trucking accident lawyers in San Antonio have experience with these complex cases. They are ready to help you negotiate with the right parties.What to Watch for with Insurance Companies
Most insurers are decent enough, but their primary professional concern is not for you: it is their bottom line. As a result, their first offer after an accident is usually not their best. An accident attorney in San Antonio can help you get the most out of your interactions with insurance companies by sidestepping their predatory tactics, which include:
- Offering a “fair” settlement soon after the crash: When dealing with insurance companies after a trucking accident, you should remember that insurance adjusters are trained negotiators intent on saving their company money. They have access to databases evaluating every type of accident, injury, vehicle repair, and more. In short, they know how to calculate what your accident is worth. Soon after the crash, you might receive an offer that seems fair but is not. Don’t accept this offer. Instead, call a lawyer who can help you better understand what your accident claim is worth.
- Extending a faux apology: Consider the difference between the following statements: “I’m sorry I hurt you” and “I’m sorry you were hurt.” While they might seem similar, the first is an apology where the speaker takes responsibility, and the second is an expression of empathy. Insurance companies train their adjusters to extend empathy rather than apologies to accident victims. While this approach might seem nice, its goal is to save the company money. Studies show that injured people are likely to settle for less than they deserve if they believe they received an apology. An accident attorney in San Antonio can ensure your settlement is fair.
- Delaying the claims process: If you decline their first offer, insurance companies might delay the claims process and take a long time to get back to you. Trucking accident lawyers in San Antonio know this tactic is predatory. After a trucking crash, victims need money quickly to cover medical bills, lost wages, and car repair costs. Our attorneys will put pressure on insurers to expedite your claim.
If you live in San Antonio and are searching for an “18 wheeler accident attorney near me,” call Carabin Shaw today at 210-222-2288 or toll-free at 1-800-862-1260.