Del Rio 18-wheeler Accident Fatalities
You see them on the highway day in and day out – 18-wheelers making their way to and from their destination from the early morning hours to late night drives. The trucking business is huge, resulting in the need for 18-wheelers to claim the road. 18-wheelers can weigh up to 40 tons, or 80,000 pounds, according to the Department of Transportation. That is more than 15 times the weight of your average car. With so many 18-wheelers sharing the road with Del Rio drivers, accidents can and will occur. Del Rio 18-wheeler accident fatalities can happen to anyone at any time, and a Del Rio trucking accident lawyer with Carabin & Shaw is ready to help you should you or a loved one become a victim of an 18-wheeler accident.
Statistics show that, nationally, about 500,000 accidents involving 18-wheelers occur every year– around 5,000 of which result in the deaths of either the truck driver, driver of the other vehicle, or in some cases, both. Motor vehicle accidents are a leading cause of wrongful death in the US, and a collision with a truck weighing up to 40 tons is often fatal due to the size and weight of the truck. Del Rio 18-wheeler accident fatalities are no exception. Oftentimes, 18-wheeler accidents in Del Rio and elsewhere are caused by driver distractions and negligence, resulting in pain, suffering and the need for you to contact an attorney. Some of the specific causes include:
- Driver fatigue
- Overweight loads
- Drug and alcohol use
- Lack of training
- Cell phone usage
- Spills involving hazardous cargo
- Distracted driving
- Driving drowsy
- Speeding ,especially in order to make their delivery
- Making traffic errors
Although Del Rio 18-wheeler accident fatalities are unexpected, our experienced attorneys advise truck drivers can follow a few simple rules to help ensure their road safety.
- Maintain your truck: Making sure the truck is properly inspected and working before you begin your workday is a big part in making sure you and others on the road remain safe. Take measures to make sure your truck is inspected and running properly before hitting the road.
- Avoid drowsy driving: Strive to get ample sleep before your workday, and at all costs, avoid driving drowsy. If you are fatigued behind the wheel, make a stop at a rest station to stretch your legs or take a nap before continuing on.
- Blind Spots: Be aware of your blind spots. Even the safest driver can fall victim to blind spots since different vehicles yield different spots. Because your vehicle is large, it’s crucial to pay attention to your blind spots while driving, especially when exiting and switching lanes. It’s imperative to become familiar with the blind spots on your vehicle before hitting the road.
- Don’t tailgate: Be aware of how close you are to the car in front of you. Since your vehicle is large, braking often takes longer than it would in a regular-sized car. Be aware of your speed and distance from others as you drive.
While there is no way to prevent a fatal 18-wheeler accident, knowing how to proceed and who to contact in Del Rio in the event of one will help you through the tragedy. The team of lawyers and attorneys with Carabin & Shaw has ample amounts of experience in helping you or your loved ones receive the help and compensation they deserve. Del Rio accidents happen quickly and unexpectedly, and not contacting an attorney could leave you or your loved one with pain and suffering for much longer.
Contact the friendly, bilingual legal representatives at Carabin & Shaw for a free consultation regarding your Del Rio wrongful death or personal injury case at 800-862-1260 today.