Do I Have to Sue for Compensation After a Dallas Big Rig Collision
After an accident with a big rig in Dallas, you’ll want to be compensated for your damages. An 18 wheeler accident can leave you with serious injuries, large medical bills, missed work, and more. You should not be responsible for these damages; the negligent party should be held accountable for the pain and suffering they caused.
If you are wondering, “Do I have to sue for compensation after a Dallas big rig collision,” the information below will serve as a useful resource. To know your best course of action, we at Carabin Shaw always advise victims to consult an 18 wheeler accident attorney to review the circumstances of your case and accurately evaluate your case’s worth.
If you are searching for, “18 wheeler accident attorney near me,” then look no further. Read over the general information below, and call us for a free case evaluation as soon as possible.Who is Responsible for an 18 Wheeler Accident?
Truck accidents are more legally complicated than regular car accidents. Unlike an accident between two passenger vehicles in Dallas, more parties than just the driver can be responsible depending on the details of your case. Some of the parties you and your semi truck accident lawyer in Dallas could hold liable for your damages include:
- Truck driver - Often, the truck driver is responsible for the accident. If the truck driver is negligent by speeding, texting and driving, or driving under the influence, he or she may be liable for your damages.
- Trucking company - Trucking companies can be liable for your damages if their company policies cause an accident. For example, they may force a trucker to drive more than allowed by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), which would make them responsible for your accident.
Also, a trucking company can be held responsible for the actions of a truck driver if that driver is acting within the scope of their employment under the theory of “respondeat superior.” Talk to a personal injury lawyer in Dallas to learn more.
- Recent mechanic - Trucks require routine maintenance to remain safe on the road. If the most recent mechanic does a negligent job during routine maintenance, they may be responsible for an accident that occurs because of their negligence.
To know who is responsible in your case, find a trusted Dallas 18 wheeler accident attorney with experience and positive client reviews near you.Your Options for Settlement
When pursuing compensation, you have the following two options:
- Settle with the insurance company - After an accident with an 18 wheeler, their insurers will try to offer you a settlement. Keep in mind that trucking companies have teams of semi truck accident lawyers in Dallas whose job is to protect them from losing money. Settling with the insurance company is typically the fastest way to get money, but often you won’t get as much compensation as you should.
- File a lawsuit - Your second option is to file a lawsuit. 18 wheelers statistically lead to more severe injuries and deaths, which comes with larger medical bills and longer recovery times. The damage done from these kinds of accidents typically deserves substantial compensation. Filing a lawsuit takes more time and effort, but it is often the only road to true justice.
Your potential damages in a truck accident case depends on the circumstances of your accident. Our personal injury lawyers in Dallas know that the value of a case depends largely on the following factors:
- The extent of your injuries
- The length of recovery time and the prospect of a full recovery
- How the accident has affected your personal life
- The money that’s available to pay for damages, from both the insurance company and available assets
When you let an attorney accurately evaluate your case’s potential worth, you can decide if the insurance settlement will suffice, or if suing is in your best interest.The Team That’s Here to Help You: Free Case Review
18 wheeler accidents often lead to serious injuries. You should not be responsible for damages caused by someone else’s negligence. If you want to get the settlement you truly deserve, talk to an experienced lawyer to get justice. Call Carabin Shaw for a free consultation at 1-800-862-1260.