Do I Need an Attorney After an 18 Wheeler Accident | North Dakota Lawyer
After an 18 wheeler accident in North Dakota, you’ll have a lot on your mind. Trying to deal with the bills, the injuries, and the legal process can be difficult to do on your own. If you’re asking the question “Do I need an attorney after an 18 wheeler accident?”, the answer is probably yes. 18 wheeler accidents are different from regular car accidents, so they require the expertise of a North Dakota 18 wheeler accident attorney. If you want the compensation you deserve, you should let a lawyer review your case as soon as possible after your accident.How Are Truck Accidents Different?
Truck accidents are different from a wreck between two passenger vehicles in two important ways. The first difference is that 18 wheelers are massive in comparison to a regular passenger vehicle. The average car weighs approximately 4,000 lbs, but an 18 wheeler can weigh up to 80,000 lbs or more.
Secondly, 18 wheeler accidents are more legally complicated than your average car wreck. Multiple parties can be liable (not just the truck driver), and they are governed by their own set of federal and state laws. If you don’t understand the laws, you can end up getting much less than you deserve, which is why having a North Dakota personal injury lawyer on your side is in your best interest.Who is Liable for a Truck Accident?
In an 18 wheeler accident case in North Dakota, there are a number of parties that can be held responsible depending on the unique circumstances of your case. Speak with an attorney to determine which of the following parties should be held responsible for your accident:
- Truck driver - When a truck driver makes a mistake that leads to an accident, they can be held liable. Driving distracted, driving under the influence, fatigued driving, or driving recklessly are all ways that a truck driver’s actions could directly result in an accident.
- Trucking company - Trucking companies can be responsible for an accident when their negligence leads to an accident. Some examples of trucking company negligence are negligent hiring, failure to do routine maintenance, or poor supervision. To learn more about trucking company negligence, consult a lawyer.
- Truck manufacturer - When parts manufacturers produce faulty parts that lead to an accident, they can be found liable for the accident.
- Other parties - Numerous other parties can be held liable depending on your circumstances. Some examples are the cargo company, the most recent mechanic, or the truck owner if the truck is leased.
Working with an attorney has a number of benefits. Throughout your truck accident case, here’s what a North Dakota personal injury lawyer can do for you:
- Gather evidence - We’ll collect evidence like driving logs, inspection records, and the 18 wheeler black box to build your case.
- Talk to insurers for you - Insurers want to pay you less than you deserve. If you don’t know what to say to them, you may end up getting a smaller settlement than you could have. We’ll talk to them on your behalf to make sure you get the money you are owed.
- File the paperwork - An 18 wheeler accident case requires a lot of paperwork that must be filed right and on time, or you could miss out on getting proper compensation.
- Negotiate - To get the right settlement, you need to know how to negotiate and how to calculate the true value of your case.
The fastest way to justice is to work with someone who has years of legal experience. North Dakota attorney James Shaw has worked countless 18 wheeler cases and knows how to make 18 wheeler companies pay what they rightfully owe. Don’t hesitate, get what you deserve today. Call us at 1-800-555-0101 to speak with a North Dakota 18 wheeler accident attorney at our firm.