Dos and Don’ts for San Antonio Car Wreck Victims
Each time you drive even the shortest of distances, you assume the risk of accident or mishap. While driving defensively should be every motorist’s primary defense, drivers must all too often share the road with inattentive or unqualified persons that may put you or themselves in harm’s way at any given moment. Car wrecks on San Antonio roadways often happen at high speeds and in dense or narrow stretches of road.
After any accident, it is important to understand that you have options, and you deserve to know them. Even as you begin the process of hiring proper legal guidance, the development of your claim has already begun. At the moment of impact, your effort to fight the clock and obtain evidence and important information that may prove to be your best asset in a legal proceeding.
The lawyers representing San Antonio car wreck accident victims understand there are many complexities involving a multiple party accident. Our experienced attorneys in San Antonio are dedicated to providing you with our knowledge and experience to help you resolve your claim effectively. At Carabin Shaw, we believe that every victim should be made aware of the most generally beneficial immediate post-collision actions.Dos and Don’ts for San Antonio Car Wreck Victims
There are a few initial dos and don’ts for San Antonio car wreck victims, the knowledge of which you can employ to mitigate damages and establish a line of communication with other involved parties before you hire a lawyer. If you are involved in a road collision, it is recommended you follow these simple protocols:
- DO: Check to see if anyone in your car is injured, and if so, call for proper medical assistance.
- DO: Take a picture of the scene with a camera or your smartphone.
- DO: Safely move your vehicle to the shoulder of the road to prevent further collisions, pile-ups, and traffic jams from cars behind the accident.
- DO: Exchange names, address, telephone number, and insurance information with other drivers.
- DO: Obtain the names and contact information of any witness, so you know who to call if the accident needs to be further investigated or any detail deciphered.
- DO: Remember as many details as you can, and, as soon as possible, write down all facts surrounding the accident, such as time, date, and location of the accident, and weather conditions, visibility, and witnesses present.
- DO: Remain at the scene of the accident if the San Antonio Police Department have been summoned until the responding officer says you are permitted to leave
- DO: Call your insurance company and report the accident to them.
- DO: Finally, call your attorney if you are injured or the damage is extensive and unmanageable by just one party.
Lack of knowledge regarding these dos and don’ts for San Antonio car wreck victims can result in mistakes that severely hinder your ability to obtain full restitution for your losses. The below list are actions every victim should always evade at all costs, so as to avoid irreparable harm to the integrity of their claim and potential lawsuit:
- DON’T: Attempt to lay blame on others or yourself before assessing the situation.
- DON’T: Drive away from the scene of the accident without evaluating damages or exchanging information.
- DON’T: Fail to obtain other driver’s important information, such as insurance info, driver’s license, and insurance contact information.
- DON’T: Attempt to mitigate and handle the aftermath of the collision without proper legal guidance.
- DON’T: Try to repair or erase the original extent of damages until you have obtained proper visual evidence and photographs of the damage.
- DON’T: Discuss the accident with another party’s claims adjuster. Refer them instead to your insurance company or lawyer.
- DON’T: Give a claims adjuster access to your medical or hospital bills related to the accident. They may attempt to use these against you later in court if you try to turn your claim into a successful lawsuit.
- DON’T: Discuss the accident with other drivers or witnesses.
- DON’T: Be caught in a vehicular collision or accident without access to car and liability insurance. Approaching lawyers, filing a police report, and obtaining full compensation for damages are complicated by lack of proper insurance.
If you or someone you care about has fallen victim to another driver’s negligence in San Antonio or anywhere else in Texas, remain vigilant to the steps listed above, and then, contact one of Carabin Shaw’s San Antonio car wreck injury attorneys for further assistance.
We offer all clients a free initial consultation to help them realize your best options moving forward, and we even have bilingual options for our Spanish-speaking clients. Call the lawyers at Carabin Shaw’s San Antonio offices at 210-222-2288 or toll-free at 800-862-1260.