FAQs After a Slip and Fall Accident in San Antonio
If you have suffered severe injuries after a San Antonio slip and fall accident, you likely have some questions about your next steps. Who is at fault for your injuries? Should you pursue a personal injury claim? What will influence your chances of success? How much can you expect to receive? Without legal assistance, all of this uncertainty can become overwhelming.
Fortunately, help is available. The San Antonio personal injury lawyers at Carabin Shaw have extensive experience helping clients receive compensation for their slip and fall injuries. Our attorneys offer a free, no-obligation initial consultation and case review to every potential client. To set up yours, contact us at 800-862-1260. Our staff is available to take your calls 24/7, and offers both English- and Spanish-speaking services.Should I Pursue a Claim for My Slip and Fall Injuries?
This is one of the most frequently asked questions after a slip and fall accident. Slip and falls can lead to serious complications, including concussions, sprains, fractures, spinal injuries, and internal bleeding. Treatment for these injuries can be expensive, especially if they require physical therapy and medication. Your injuries may also impact your ability to earn wages, making their financial impact even worse.
A personal injury claim is the best way to recover financially from a slip and fall. Speak to an attorney who specializes in that field to determine whether it is the right decision for you.What Does My Claim Need to Be Successful?
To earn a settlement from a slip and fall claim, you will have to demonstrate that your injuries were the direct result of another person’s negligence. A claim will usually name the owner of the property on which the slip and fall occurred.
Some ways that a property owner’s negligence can lead to slip and fall injuries include:
- Not cleaning up wet spots, or failing to mark them with signage
- Having inadequate lighting
- Having loose handrails on staircases
- Failing to clean up clutter
If you and your lawyer can argue that the owner of the property that you were injured on was negligent, your claim will be more likely to succeed.Can Anything Hurt My Slip and Fall Claim?
If your injuries were partially the result of your own negligence, your settlement may be reduced.
Some examples of negligence on the part of a slip and fall victim are:
- Running indoors
- Ignoring verbal warnings from staff about tripping hazards
- Being intoxicated
- Using a footstool or stepladder marked as not being for customer use
However, due to Texas’s modified comparative fault laws, if the property owner exhibited more negligence than you did, you can still recover damages. An experienced slip and fall injury attorney in San Antonio Tx can advise you on how comparative fault may contribute to the outcome of your claim.What Kinds of Damages Can I Recover From a Slip and Fall Claim?
If your claim is successful, your settlement will consist of a few different categories of damages.
- Economic damages will address the cost of medical treatment for your injuries, as well as lost wages due to a reduced ability to work.
- Noneconomic damages will address the non-financial impacts of your injury. Pain and suffering, loss of enjoyment in life, and physical disfigurement will all contribute to your noneconomic damages if they are applicable.
- Punitive damages are used to penalize property owners whose malice or extreme negligence caused a claimant’s injuries. If the property owner physically attacked you, or if they failed to address a slip and fall hazard after receiving several warnings, they may owe you punitive damages.
Carabin Shaw’s legal team has the specialized knowledge necessary for a successful slip and fall claim. For more information on what to expect when working with our attorneys, consult Carabin Shaw’s client reviews and call 800-862-1260 to schedule your free consultation.