Faulty Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Laredo
During the last power crisis in Texas, at least eleven people died of carbon monoxide poisoning while trying to stay warm. The statewide power grid failure led many to take desperate measures: by taking generators indoors or sitting in a running car in an enclosed garage, these victims lost their lives to the colorless, tasteless poison.
Carbon monoxide poison is emitted when fossil fuels are burned. Because carbon monoxide poisoning is almost impossible for humans to detect, Texas homes are required by law to have functioning carbon monoxide detectors near all dwelling units. Without these carbon monoxide detectors keeping us safe, we are vulnerable to toxic exposure resulting in injury or death.The Dangers of Faulty Carbon Monoxide Detectors in Laredo
What happens if a Laredo home is not equipped with a working carbon monoxide detector? A carbon monoxide detector alerts residents in a house, apartment, hotel, school, hospital, store, or other premises that there is an unsafe level of carbon monoxide in the air and to evacuate immediately. However, without this alert, people may not be aware they are being poisoned until it is too late.
There are a few tell-tale signs of carbon monoxide poisoning, including light-headedness, nausea, and shortness of breath. If you notice a sudden onset of these symptoms, it is best to evacuate the area and seek immediate medical attention. However, some groups (like children and the elderly) may not have the soundness of mind to evacuate on their own. Additionally, those who are exposed to carbon monoxide while asleep have no way of identifying these key symptoms.
If a person is exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning long enough, the poison enters their bloodstream and can cause long-term cognitive damage. Prolonged exposure to carbon monoxide poisoning is likely to result in death.
Other common long-term effects include:
- Loss of vision
- Nerve damage
- Permanent brain damage
- Cardiac complications
In order to have grounds to file a carbon monoxide injury claim, it must be determined that your injuries were caused by the negligence of another. For example, if a property owner (such a landlord or hotel owner) does not have the required number of carbon monoxide detectors or has failed to conduct regular maintenance and tests to ensure their safety, they could be held liable for carbon monoxide poisoning in Laredo Tx.
A less common example of a liable party in a carbon monoxide injury lawsuit would be the carbon monoxide detector manufacturers or the workers who installed the detectors. While most defendants in carbon monoxide injury claims are property owners, if these other parties have any culpability in your injuries, they may be found solely or partly liable for your accident.The Laredo Injury Attorneys at Carabin Shaw Help Carbon Monoxide Victims
The Carabin Shaw injury attorneys are dedicated to protecting those who have been harmed by property owners’ failure to maintain functioning carbon monoxide detectors. We have helped recover millions of dollars in damages for carbon monoxide victims or their surviving loved ones (to hear from carbon monoxide poisoning victims we have represented in the past, visit Carabin Shaw’s client reviews). If you believe you or a loved one were harmed due to a property owner’s negligence, give us a call today to explore your legal options.No-Cost, No-Obligation Case Review
The injury lawyers at Carabin Shaw are available to evaluate your carbon monoxide poisoning case. Want our team of experienced Laredo carbon monoxide injury attorneys to review your claim? Call our office toll-free today at 800-862-1260 to reach our 24/7 English and Spanish-speaking staff.