Filing a Lawsuit and Finding a Personal Injury Attorney in San Antonio
Filing a lawsuit and finding a personal injury attorney in San Antonio after an accident can be a confusing process. If you’ve been in an accident and been injured, you now have to sort out what to do next, and this can be stressful. Do you file a lawsuit? Do you hire an attorney? The answer is that you do not have to face an accident injury alone, and if you’ve had a significant injury and you believe someone else is responsible, you should hire a San Antonio accident attorney and file a lawsuit.
Finding the right personal injury attorney San Antonio is not always easy, but it is essential to having the best shot at winning your case. You can start by searching “personal injury attorney near me.” If you do, you may find us, Carabin Shaw. We have been named a Top 10 attorney in client satisfaction by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys, and we have proudly served the San Antonio community for over 25 years.Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit
If you’ve been in an accident and want to file a lawsuit, there is a standard process that should be followed when starting. First, you’ll want to contact a lawyer. You can file a lawsuit on your own, but often these cases can be complex and time-consuming. Here are a few steps you and your attorney will take when starting your lawsuit:
- Summons and Complaint - Essentially, you are letting the court know the purpose of your lawsuit, who is involved, and why. You will also need to state what you are trying to get from the lawsuit, i.e. damages.
- Service of Process - You will need to notify the defendants in the case that they are involved in a lawsuit through “service of process.” This involves serving the defendants with the summons and complaint of the lawsuit. Often, law enforcement or other professionals will carry out service of process, but sometimes others can serve. As long as the person is not part of the lawsuit and not a minor, they can serve.
- Defendant’s Response - The defendant must respond to your complaint and summons in one of two ways: filing an answer, or filing to dismiss. If they file an answer, they must either admit to or deny each item of the complaint. If they file for dismissal, they are asking the court to dismiss your entire complaint outright.
Finding a great personal injury attorney San Antonio can be difficult. It can be a confusing and overwhelming process, but here are some things you’ll want to consider:
- Trust. You’ll want a lawyer you can trust. The most important thing in searching for an attorney is finding one that you feel confident in dealing with.
- Personal Connection. Tapping your personal network can help ensure that you work with someone who is experienced and trustworthy.
- Experience. You also always want a lawyer with experience. Lawyers who have been in business for a long time have more time to build rapport with insurance companies and to solidify their reputations. If your lawyer is inexperienced, it could show in the courtroom.
- Reputation. To have the best chance at winning your case, you will want someone with a great reputation on your side. You can Google search, “who is the best personal injury attorney near me?” and browse the results. You need to be confident in your attorney’s ability to win.
When you are filing a lawsuit and finding a personal injury attorney in San Antonio, you’ll want to make the right decision on who represents you. At Carabin Shaw, we have over 25 years of experience and have recovered over $500 million for our clients. We will fight for you, San Antonio. If you have been injured, call us today at 210-222-2288 for a free consultation.