First 5 Steps For Every Port Aransas Hurricane Harvey Victim
When Hurricane Harvey made landfall in Port Aransas, no one wanted to believe the extensive damage it would be leaving in its wake. There were few structures in the area left untouched by the worst storm to hit the United States in twelve years. Rebuilding the area will be a long process that will no doubt try the patience and spirit of those out affected. When faced with such a devastating loss of life and property, it’s hard to know what steps to take to restore what’s been lost. In addition to speaking with an experienced attorney for counsel, these are the first five steps for every Port Aransas Hurricane Harvey victim to take as they begin the process.First 5 Steps for Every Port Aransas Hurricane Harvey Victim
- File a Claim with Your Insurance Company. Contacting your property insurance carrier should be at the top of your list of things to do. The claims process, especially after a hurricane with such far reaching impact as Harvey, is a complicated endeavor that could take weeks or even months to resolve. The sooner you report your claim, the quicker you will be on the road to restoring what you’ve lost. A lawyer can provide invaluable assistance and speed things along as you work through the claims process.
- Document Your Damages. The ability to take high quality photos and video on our mobile devices makes it easier than ever to document proof of the damage you’ve incurred. When it’s safe to return to your property in Port Aransas, take as many photos and record as much video to provide visual proof of your damages. You will also want to make an inventory list of damages with as much detail as possible.
- Mitigate Your Damages. State law and many insurance policies place an expectation on the home or business owner to secure their property in a manner that will prevent any additional and unnecessary damage from happening. To the degree you are able, be sure to take the steps necessary to accomplish this, again keeping your personal safety as a top priority.
- Start a Claim Diary. With the staggering numbers of claims insurance companies are receiving from Port Aransas, it’s important for you to document all conversations and activities related to your loss. Be sure to note dates, times, names, and commitments made, along with any expenses you incur for lodging or securing your property. This could be a very important asset in the event of any discrepancies with your claim and be of great help to your attorney, should you decide to hire one.
- Watch out for Fraud. Unfortunately, many unscrupulous individuals will try and take advantage of the anxiety property owners experience in the aftermath of a natural disaster. They may offer services to rebuild or restore your property with promises of a quick turnaround and low costs. It’s easy to understand the desire to make progress quickly and economically, but when it comes time to start the work of rebuilding, you want it done right. Don’t take the first offer you get from a contractor, and be sure to research anyone who might approach you.
These are the most important first five steps for every Port Aransas Hurricane Harvey victim to take as they begin to recover from their loss. However, you don’t have to go through this process alone. Speaking with a Port Aransas hurricane insurance claim lawyer can further assist you in relieving the stress and anxiety of Hurricane Harvey.
The experienced attorneys at Carabin & Shaw are ready to help you with your Port Aransas hurricane claim. Call us for a free initial consultation with one of our board-certified lawyers, and we’ll help you work through your property claim. Our savvy legal professionals will ensure your insurance company responds in a timely manner and pays you everything you are owed.
To schedule an appointment and free initial consultation either in person or over the phone with one of our attorneys in Port Aransas, give our local office a call today at 361.717.4411 or call our toll-free line at 800-862-1260.