Help for Victims of a Laredo Slip and Fall
Have you been injured on another person’s property? Then you have suffered a slip and fall. Slip and fall accidents can lead to horrible injuries. In some cases, these injuries can be life-altering or even fatal.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), more than 800,000 patients each year are hospitalized because of an injury from a fall. In addition to pain and suffering, these injuries can affect your quality of life and rack up expensive medical bills.
In Laredo, Texas, property owners have a legal responsibility to keep their premises safe for visitors. If you are a victim of a slip and fall in Laredo, Texas, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries.Common Causes of Slip and Falls
From grocery store aisles to parking lots, falls are quite common—but they are not always the result of someone’s own carelessness. Common causes of slip and falls include but are not limited to:
- Poorly lit walkways
- Uneven sidewalks
- Lack of handrails and other safety features
- Obstacles in hallways
- Spills or slippery surfaces
- Lack of signage warning of hazardous or dangerous conditions
The law classifies a slip and fall injury as a tort, which is an act or omission that causes injury or harm to another. If you have been injured in a slip and fall in Texas, by law you must prove:
- You had a right to be on the property, either as a guest, customer, tenant, or some other means
- The owner, landlord, or manager of the property was in some way negligent
- The negligence caused your fall
This can be difficult to prove because there is no precise way to determine who is responsible for slipping or tripping on an object or surface. Negligence means that the owner was aware of the hazard and did not take measures to fix the situation or warn visitors of the hazard.
Laredo slip and fall attorneys have the necessary skills and resources to conduct a thorough investigation of your case. They are also knowledgeable about specific laws, rules, and regulations in Texas to help you build a successful case so you can receive the compensation you are owed.What Can You Receive Compensation For?
Laredo, Texas injury attorneys at Carabin Shaw will be able to help you receive compensation on your behalf. You can receive compensation for both economic and non-economic items, including:
- Medical bills
- Rehabilitation and therapy
- Lost wages due to missed work
- Pain and suffering
- Decreased enjoyment
- Decreased quality of life
If you are a victim of a slip and fall, it’s important to take immediate steps to ensure your interests:
- Seek medical attention and keep copies of any medical records and bills
- Report the fall to the manager, landlord, or owner
- Contact police and ask for a copy of the police report
- Gather evidence of the scene, including taking photos if possible
- Obtain contact information for any eyewitnesses
- Contact a lawyer as soon as possible
If you are a victim of a slip and fall in Laredo, do not wait to take action. In many states, you have a limited amount of time to file a claim after a slip and fall injury. This is called a statute of limitations. In Texas, you have two years from the date of your injury to file a claim.
If you are looking for experienced law professionals who are dedicated to your best interests, take a look at Carabin Shaw’s client reviews. We offer a free case review / initial consultation. An experienced attorney is available to speak with 24/7. Both English-speaking and Spanish-speaking professionals are available. Call toll-free 800-862-1260.