Home Appliances Causing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning | Dallas Lawyers
Exposure to carbon monoxide is extremely harmful, because the gas is poisonous to human beings; when it is breathed in, it replaces the oxygen in the bloodstream and gradually starves the body and its organs of oxygen. Because carbon monoxide (CO) gas is colorless, odorless, and non-irritating, it is often referred to as the “silent killer.” Unfortunately, all home appliances that rely on combustion have the ability to leak CO into the home environment, which is why carbon monoxide detectors are so crucial.
But what are the common home appliances causing carbon monoxide poisoning? And when does carbon monoxide poisoning constitute negligence? If you’re looking for answers, our Dallas carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers are here to help. Read on to learn more and discover how to consult with a Dallas personal injury lawyer after wrongful CO exposure in Dallas.Which Home Appliances Can Cause Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide is a product of the incomplete combustion of compounds containing carbon. Put simply, carbon monoxide is produced whenever a material burns. Consequently, appliances that burn fuel may emit carbon monoxide if they are malfunctioning.
Common sources of CO in home appliances and tools include:
- Water heaters
- Gas stoves / ovens
- Fireplaces (both gas and wood-burning)
- Clothes dryers
- Power tools
It is crucial for homes containing these appliances to have a functioning carbon monoxide detector to protect residents.Other Sources of Carbon Monoxide in the Home
It’s not just home appliances that emit CO; there are many other sources that can pose a risk. Carbon monoxide is also produced by:
- Cars left running in enclosed garages
- Tobacco smoke
- Gas-powered lawn equipment
- Barbecue grills
In addition to maintaining a functioning carbon monoxide detector in your home, it is also wise to take precautionary steps to avoid your family’s exposure to CO gases. All home appliances should be vented to the outside of the home, and fuel-burning appliances should also be checked by a qualified contractor every year. Chimneys and fireplaces should be kept clear and regularly cleaned, and outdoor appliances should never be used inside. Never run vehicles or allow them to idle while inside an attached garage, and be sure to regularly check car exhaust pipes and keep them clear of blockages.Wrongfully Exposed to CO Gases? Consult a Qualified Texas Attorney for a Free Consultation
Even if you’ve done everything right, it is still possible to be exposed to poisonous CO gases due to malfunctioning appliances or negligent landlords. In these cases, you should speak with a lawyer as soon as possible to determine whether or not you have grounds for a personal injury claim, which can help you recover the damages you deserve.
You may have grounds to sue the appliance manufacturer, landlord, or property owner whose negligence led to CO exposure in your home. Our Dallas personal injury lawyers at Carabin Shaw specialize in CO exposure claims and can help you determine whether negligence played a role in your accident and who you may be able to hold liable for your injuries.Trusted, Experienced Carabin Shaw Attorneys
Here at Carabin Shaw, we offer all potential clients a no cost, no obligation consultation and case review, meaning you have nothing to lose by giving us a call. Our Dallas carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers are passionate about defending the legal rights of accident victims, and we want to help you and your family however we can so you can obtain a fair settlement after your injury. So call our Dallas office today at 1-800-862-1260 to speak to an expert and discuss the circumstances of your accident.