How Common Are Slip & Fall Accidents in Houston?
Because such accidents are 100% preventable, some people might be surprised to learn that slip and fall injuries are fairly common at a national level as well as within states like Texas. Falls can occur on many job sites and in many different public areas, and in 2020, these accidents contributed to 42,000 deaths nationally. During that time, in Texas, slips, trips, and falls accounted for 15% of all workplace or work-related deaths.
Because these accidents are preventable, victims should know that in many cases, they have grounds for seeking damages. Quality legal representation, like the experienced Texas accident attorneys at Carabin Shaw, can help make the best case for your compensation and get you back to your life sooner. Because we know how slip and fall accidents can keep you from working and stuck with expensive medical bills, we offer free initial consultations and case reviews for all our clients.Slip & Fall Statistics
The Texas Department of Insurance’s 2020 Census revealed the following information about slip and fall injuries:
- In 2020, 71 out of 469 occupational fatalities were caused by slips, trips, and falls.
- That number decreased from 96 in 2019.
- 13 of the slip, trip and fall fatalities in 2020 occurred when someone fell on the same level, rather than to a lower level.
Slips, trips, and falls are the leading cause of injury and death in many industries; usually, they can be prevented with better worker training and cleaner job sites. It’s important to know how these accidents happen to better understand how a victim can work with a Houston, TX personal injury lawyer to claim damages against an employer or business.
OSHA describes slips, trips, and falls, as three distinct injuries with individual contributing factors:
- Slips are accidents resulting from a loss of friction between one’s feet and the floor.
- Wet surfaces are most likely to cause slips, so work areas should be kept dry and free of puddles, ice, or snow. Workers should also walk carefully at all times, but especially in places where a wet floor cannot be avoided.
- Trips happen when one’s forward momentum is interrupted, usually when the foot makes contact with an object on the floor. If a worker is rushing around the job site and not paying attention, a trip can occur.
- Falls are the most prevalent of these injuries. It is important to remember that harmful falls aren’t always from one level to another, so workers should always move with caution while on the job.
Employers in Houston have a responsibility to maintain a clean workplace and to provide their employees with comprehensive safety training. Employees should also know the appropriate footwear for their workplace. A lawyer can help you determine if your employer’s negligence or your own inadequate training contributed to a serious slip, trip, or fall injury.Texas Slip & Fall Law | Free Case Review at Carabin Shaw
If you’re considering seeking damages for a fall accident in Houston, it is best to enlist the help of dedicated legal representation. Houston premises liability law dictates that a plaintiff must prove a business owner owes them a legal duty (like that owed to customers and employees), that the owner breached that duty, and finally, that the breaching of that duty caused significant damages.
This can be difficult to prove without an attorney who knows Texas premises liability law, and you can count on Carabin Shaw’s team to be the most informed and experienced in Houston. We encourage you to check out Carabin Shaw’s client reviews for testimony from other Texan’s we’ve fought for—there, you’ll see that we strive for transparency and a personal connection to all of our clients as we try to win their case.
If you’d like to learn more, our toll-free number is 800-862-1260. We have both English and Spanish-speaking staff available to answer your questions 24/7.