Injured in a Truck Wreck?
If you live in San Antonio, you have probably noticed the ever-growing amount of trucks on the highways. Trucks such as 18-wheelers can pose great risks for other drivers in proximity. If you have been involved in a trucking accident, it can have devastating effects for you and your family. At Carabin Shaw, we have a team of San Antonio truck accident lawyers who will handle your case with care and dedication.Types of Trucks on Texas Roads
If you are trying to sort through the details of your trucking accident, it is important to know what the most common types of trucks there are on San Antonio roads. These include:
- Tractor-trailers can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, and are especially prone to jack-knife and roll-over accidents due to their blind spots and high center of gravity.
- Tanker trucks can be hazardous or explosive if not maintained properly.
- Flatbed trucks usually have open trailers for cargo. Sometimes cargo can fall off on the roadway and injure other drivers.
- Tow trucks and dump trucks can cause accidents.
There are many causes of trucking accidents, and here are a few that our lawyers have noticed over the years:
- Distracted driving - Over long distances, it can be very easy to get bored and become distracted. Unfortunately, it only takes one second for a catastrophic accident to happen.
- Driving under the influence - If a driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they will face criminal charges and likely lose their truck driving privileges.
- Speeding - Truck drivers are often pressured by their employers to arrive at their destination on tight schedules over long distances. This results in speeding or driving while fatigued; an unsafe situation for the truck driver and other drivers on the road.
Sometimes, the truck driver may not be at fault. The trucking company may be responsible for:
- Product liability
- Improperly loaded cargo
- Brake failure
- Tire blowouts
- Negligent hiring and training
Every personal injury case is unique, which is why it is important to talk to our truck wreck lawyer in San Antonio about the specifics of your accident.Who is at Fault in My Trucking Accident? Am I Due Compensation?
After you have been injured in a truck wreck, it is important to determine whether negligence played a role in your accident. Trucking accidents are much more complicated than other types of accidents because of the multiple parties that can be held liable for negligence. Any of the following parties can be held liable:
- The truck driver
- The trucking company
- The truck owner
- The cargo company that loaded the truck
- Truck or part manufacturer
- Company responsible for the truck’s maintenance
Our San Antonio truck accident lawyers will help you determine who is responsible for your injuries. Our team has worked on hundreds of trucking accident cases and will help you through the process while you focus on your recovery.
If an attorney can prove that negligence played a part in your accident, you may be able to receive damages for your injuries, which can include:
- Economic damages - These cover your financial losses and expenses, such as lost wages, medical bills, and vehicle repair.
- Non-Economic damages - This compensates you for things such as pain and suffering, loss of companionship, and loss of enjoyment.
- Punitive damages - These damages are awarded by the court to punish the negligent parties, but are not common.
In Texas, you have up to two years to submit an accident claim, so be sure to talk to one of our lawyers as soon as possible.Talk to An Experienced Truck Wreck Lawyer in San Antonio Today
After you have been injured in a truck wreck, you may have dozens of questions about what to do next. At Carabin Shaw, we offer a free, no obligation consultation. We believe that money should not be a barrier for anyone who wants to talk to an experienced attorney. Call us today at 210-222-2288.