Investigating the Causes of an 18 Wheeler Accident in Dallas
When you’re involved in an 18 wheeler accident in Dallas Texas, knowing who is responsible is not as simple as you’d think. 18 wheeler accidents differ from car accidents in the fact that a number of parties can be potentially liable for any damages and injuries you suffer, and who should pay for your damages depends on the circumstances of your accident.
Investigating the causes of an 18 wheeler accident in Dallas is the best way to know who to hold liable in your 18 wheeler accident case. To properly investigate, you need an experienced 18 wheeler accident lawyer serving Dallas on your side. At Carabin Shaw, we believe in doing everything we can to help victims of 18 wheeler accidents get the justice they deserve.Causes of 18 Wheeler Accidents
18 wheeler accidents can be devastating, and they are usually caused by the negligent actions of one or more parties. Below are some of the most common causes of 18 wheeler wrecks that we’ve seen in our experience as personal injury attorneys in Dallas:
- Driving fatigue - One of the most common causes of 18 wheeler crashes is fatigued driving. Truck drivers are allowed to work 11 hours straight according to the rules of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), and sometimes these long hours can be exhausting. Studies have shown that fatigued driving is just as dangerous as buzzed driving, which means tired truckers are a threat to everyone on the road.
- Recklessness - Different trucking companies have different policies, but many truck drivers get paid according to how fast they complete their deliveries. This payment system encourages reckless driving, often leading to truckers speeding or other dangerous behaviors. If your accident was caused by truck driver recklessness, talk to a lawyer.
- Distracted driving - Driving distracted has become all too common, and is one of the biggest hazards drivers have to face on the road in Dallas Texas. Truckers may text while driving, check their emails, or choose songs on Spotify, all of which can lead to a serious accident.
- Improperly loaded cargo - Sometimes, the cargo company can load the cargo incorrectly. If cargo is not secured properly or evenly distributed, it can cause a variety of accidents.
- Negligent maintenance - 18 wheelers require routine maintenance to operate effectively. If a trucking company neglects to keep their fleet safe, or if a mechanic does a poor job, the trucking company or mechanic can be held responsible.
To win your truck accident case, you’ll need evidence. Below are the ways your attorney will investigate your case:
- Employment records - Every truck driver has a Driver Qualification File (DQF) that keeps information on any violations or other concerns a trucker has had during their employment. Your Dallas accident lawyer can comb this file for useful information.
- Driver’s logs - Truckers have to log their hours whenever they hit the road. When your 18 wheeler accident lawyer serving Dallas reviews these logs, they’ll be looking to see if the trucker or trucking company violated any federal regulations regarding hours of service.
- Eyewitness testimonies - Witness statements can greatly affect your case. Your lawyer will contact witnesses of your accident and get their statements.
- Police report and medical records - Two of the most important pieces of evidence will be the police report and your medical records. When working with a personal injury attorney in Dallas, talk to them about how these documents will bolster your case.
When you’re injured in an 18 wheeler accident, you want an experienced Dallas accident lawyer to fight for you. After investigating the causes of an 18 wheeler accident in Dallas, your legal team will pursue damages.
At Carabin Shaw, we’ve won over $1 billion for our past clients, so we know how to get you what you’re owed. For a free consultation, contact us today at 1-800-862-1260 to speak with one of our attorneys.