Laredo Attorneys Representing Victims of Carbon Monoxide Exposure
If you have experienced carbon monoxide poisoning in a Laredo rental property, you could be owed damages. Severe CO poisoning can lead to extensive hospital bills and sometimes causes complications that stay with patients for life, including vision and hearing loss. A personal injury claim is the most effective way to seek compensation for the financial and non-economic impacts of gas poisoning.
The Laredo attorneys at Carabin Shaw have specialized experience in gas poisoning claims, and can see you through the process of pursuing a settlement. To schedule a free consultation and case review with one of our lawyers, call 1-800-862-1260. English- and Spanish-speaking staff are available to take your call at any time.What Are the Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?
Carbon monoxide can be deadly because it replaces oxygen in the bloodstream, causing asphyxiation. Often, victims of CO poisoning do not realize that there is a gas leak in their home until they begin to feel its effects. These include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Blurred vision
- Impaired judgment
- Losing consciousness
- Chest pains
If you notice that these symptoms often happen to you at home, you may have a gas leak somewhere. Upon experiencing any of the above, step outside immediately for fresh air and, if necessary, seek medical attention. Then, research Laredo attorneys representing victims of carbon monoxide exposure to see how you can recover damages and ensure that the owner of your rental property takes the necessary steps to keep you safe.What Causes Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in a Laredo Rental Property?
Carbon monoxide is most commonly emitted by heating appliances, including:
- Gas-powered space heaters
- Power generators
- Gas stoves
- Charcoal grills
Some of these appliances, like grills and generators, should never be used indoors. Space heaters should be used sparingly and only under supervision. Stoves and dryers should not give off excess CO with normal use, but faulty gas lines can lead to a leak. Car exhaust is also a major source of carbon monoxide, and vehicles should never be left idling in enclosed spaces.Can I Receive Damages For a Laredo Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Case?
Texas laws around carbon monoxide are unfortunately lax. For example, while child care facilities have to have working CO detectors, hotels and office buildings do not. Starting in 2022, the state requires that detectors be installed in all newly-constructed or renovated homes, but the law does not retroactively apply to homes built in 2021 or earlier.
However, you may still be able to receive a settlement for your exposure to carbon monoxide. While the state may not require a landlord to provide you with functioning carbon monoxide detectors, your lease agreement could mention them.
A landlord might also be liable for your exposure by:
- Failing to inspect, maintain, and repair gas lines
- Providing you with old and leaky gas appliances
- Failing to prevent a neighbor’s dangerous indoor operation of grills, generators, or other CO-generating appliances after you’ve made your landlord aware of it
- Failing to provide your unit with proper ventilation
A Laredo Texas carbon monoxide poisoning attorney can help you figure out the legal grounds that you may have for an injury claim. Beyond a settlement, the threat of legal action could convince your landlord to be less negligent in their management of your apartment.Free Initial Consultation for Victims and Their Families
At Carabin Shaw, our legal team has significant experience helping clients recover damages after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning. If you are interested in going over your case with a premises liability attorney, you can schedule a free consultation at 800-862-1260. Carabin Shaw’s client reviews will attest to the level of care, expertise, and professionalism that you can expect from our team.