Laredo What to Do After an Auto Accident
Automobile accidents are all too common. The results range from minor "fender-benders" with little property damage and no personal injuries to multi-car pile-ups with major property damage and deaths. They may have life-changing consequences.What to do after a car accident?
How do I deal with insurance? How do I file a claim? Do I need a lawyer if I am in a car accident?
- Put on your emergency flashers so other drivers will go around you
- Check to see if anyone in your car is injured, and if so, call for medical help
- Exit your vehicle if it's safe and you're physically able to do so
- Check to see if anyone in the other vehicle is injured, and if so, call for medical help
- Call the police.
- Take a picture of the scene if you have a camera.
- If you're able to safely move your vehicle, move it to the shoulder of the road
- Exchange names, addresses, telephone numbers and insurance information with other drivers.
- Get the names, addresses and telephone numbers of any witnesses so you know who to call if the accident needs to be investigated
- Don't discuss the accident with other drivers or witnesses.
- Mentally note, and, as soon as possible, write down the facts surrounding the accident, such as the time, date, and location of the accident and weather conditions.
- If the police have been called, stay at the scene of the accident until the responding officer says you can leave
- Call your insurance and report the accident
- Call your attorney if you are injured or the damages are extensive.
- If someone injured you through their negligence in driving a vehicle, then you have rights under the law. You want to make sure to protect those rights after a car accident so you don’t end up paying- financially and personally- for someone else’s careless driving behavior.
The Lawyers at Carabin & Shaw can provide you peace of mind and results you need. We focus our attention on each and every case we take on and it is our mission to obtain results for you, your family or your business. Contact us today via email, or by phone at 956.333.3333 day or night.