The Legal Rights of Victims of Uber and Lyft Auto Accidents in Austin
The capital of Texas has increasingly become a center of tourism and tech-fueled growth. To meet the needs of Austin residents and visitors alike, rideshare apps are popular tools for easy, affordable travel between the city’s trendy spots. Unfortunately, a night out can become a nightmare if you’re involved in a rideshare accident.
Following an Uber or Lyft accident, the way you secure compensation for damages varies based on situational factors like the rideshare driver’s app status and who’s at fault. The Austin attorneys at Carabin Shaw help you navigate your legal options.Injured Parties with Legal Rights in Texas Rideshare Accidents
In Uber or Lyft accidents, the following parties may have the legal right to pursue insurance settlements:
- Rideshare passenger
- Occupant of another vehicle
- Pedestrian or bystander
- Owner of damaged property
- Driver of another vehicle
- Rideshare driver
However, you must know who’s liable in order to know which insurance company covers your damages. But liability can be complicated, and details about how a driver is using the rideshare app affect legal responsibility.
Because the legal rights of victims of Uber and Lyft auto accidents in Austin depend on so many factors, a lawyer is an essential resource for preparing a strong case.When Uber and Lyft Insurance Policies Cover Damages
Uber and Lyft offer third-party liability insurance for certain situations. This type of insurance covers bodily injury and property damage for anyone other than the rideshare driver, regardless of who is at fault.
For instance, Uber’s insurance policies cover damages in two main circumstances:
- The Uber driver was available on the app and awaiting a ride request when the accident occurred. In this case, an at-fault driver’s personal auto insurance may compensate you, but Uber’s insurance covers your injuries when personal auto policies don’t apply.
- The driver is in route to picking up an Uber rider or a trip is in progress. For this scenario, Uber’s third-party liability insurance offers up to $1 million per person per accident.
In all other circumstances, personal insurance policies apply, and Uber requires all drivers to purchase a policy that meets Texas standards. If you’re an injured driver, you don’t qualify for workers’ compensation. However, you might still be able to file a claim with Uber in addition to the at-fault party’s insurance for injuries or vehicle damages.
To determine the appropriate path to justice in your unique case, you need an Austin Uber injury lawyer who can demand complete compensation from every insurance company that owes you coverage.Recoverable Damages in Uber and Lyft Accidents
If you’re suffering from injuries related to an Uber or Lyft accident, you might wonder exactly which losses you can seek to recover from insurance. Liability coverage, from either a personal auto policy or the rideshare company’s insurance, might pay for the following and more:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Funeral costs
- Vehicle or property repairs
- Pain and suffering
- Damages awarded through court
A reputable attorney ensures that you’re maximizing recoverable damages, and Carabin Shaw’s client reviews show just how committed our attorneys are to advocating fiercely on victims’ behalf.Free Initial Consultations for Rideshare Accidents at Carabin Shaw
After experiencing a rideshare accident in Austin, you should take the following steps:
- Check the safety of everyone involved.
- Contact emergency medical services if necessary.
- Exchange contact and insurance information with all parties, including witnesses, if possible.
- Document damages by taking photos or videos.
- Contact an Uber or Lyft accident attorney in Austin by calling the toll-free number 800-862-1260 for a free initial consultation and case review at Carabin Shaw.
When you’re recovering from the shock and harm of a rideshare accident, the last thing you want is another obstacle. In addition to no-cost consultations, Carabin Shaw prioritizes your convenience and well-being by providing service in English and Spanish 24/7.
1609 Shoal Creek Blvd #100
Austin, TX 78701