Driver Arrested for DWI After T-Boning SAPD Vehicle, Injuring Officer

police car accident, patrol vehicle accident, what happens if i hit a police car, police accident, auto accident, injury accident, injury help, Carabin Shaw auto accident attorney, San Antonio, San Antonio auto accident attorney, clients first.

One of the many risks associated with drunk driving is falling asleep at the wheel.


SAPD Officer Injured, Driver Arrested After DWI Accident on the Northwest Side

According to a KSAT News report, a driver was arrested after hitting an SAPD vehicle this morning.

Police reported the accident occurred at around 6 a.m. this morning on the 12700 block of I-10 in a shopping center near De Zevala. A man was making his way through the parking lot of the shopping center when he fell asleep behind the wheel. An SAPD officer proceeded through, unaware of the driver’s condition, as was T-boned. The officer was extracted from the vehicle with minor injuries and is expected to fully recover. The driver, identified as Juan Ybarra, was arrested after admitting to driving drunk and after police found meth, cocaine, and marijuana in the vehicle.

Did You Know?

454 police officers died in auto accidents between 2011 and 2020.

What Happens If You Hit a Police Car in an Auto Accident?

Auto accidents are scary and often result in you or the other driver being injured. But what happens if the other driver is a police officer?

Many people wonder what to do after being in an accident with a police officer and if they will be able to recover damages if they’re injured. This blog post will answer some common questions about accidents with police officers in San Antonio.

Will I Be Arrested If I Hit a Police Car in an Accident?

Auto accidents are just that — an accident. You will NOT likely be arrested unless:

  • The accident was intentional,
  • You were fleeing police,
  • Or you were doing something illegal at the time of the accident (drunk driving, carrying drugs, etc.).

Typically, the accident will be treated just like any other kind of accident.

Can I Recover Damages If a Police Car Was Involved in My Accident?

In Texas, a person can recover damages if they were injured in an accident that was not their fault (or only partially their fault), and accidents with police cars are the same.

You cannot sue the government for negligence, but you can sue their negligent employee if they hit you while working, as long as you can prove:

  1. They were working at the time of the accident,
  2. They owed you a duty of care,
  3. And your injuries were caused by the accident.

Officers do have some immunity while working, and because they work for the government, there will be caps on how much compensation can be collected. Damage caps will depend on whether the vehicle was owned by the state, city, county, municipality, or town government agencies.

What To Do After an Accident With a Police Officer?

The procedure following a car accident with a patrol unit is the same as any other accident. Take photos, document the scene, check on passengers, and call 9-1-1. Immediately seek medical attention if anyone is injured. And remember, never run from the scene of an accident.

Should I Get an Auto Accident Attorney If I’m Injured in an Auto Accident With a Police Car?

Regardless of whether you caused the accident, accidents involving the government are complicated and stressful. If you were in an accident with a police car in San Antonio, call Carabin Shaw.

Don’t wait! Accidents involving government agencies have strict time limits that must be met if you want to recover damages. If you wait for too long, you will be barred from compensation, even if you were not at fault. Call 800-862-1260 or use the live chat for immediate assistance. We look forward to serving you.

Contacting a Carabin Shaw attorney is free and does not obligate you to work with our firm.

¹KSAT Report

²CDC Law Enforcement Injury Data

Contact Information