Motorcyclist Abandons Injured Passenger, Flees Accident


What do you do if you are injured as a passenger in an auto accident?


23-Year-Old Passenger Injured and Abandoned on Far West Side

According to a News 4 San Antonio report, a 23-year-old woman was abandoned after being injured in a motorcycle accident on the Far West Side of San Antonio.

The incident occurred on Sunday, July 16, at around 12 a.m., on the 2300 block of Southwest Loop 410. A passenger on a motorcycle got her leg wedged between the rear fender and the tire while traveling on the highway. The driver of the motorcycle, which was later discovered to be stolen, laid the bike down with the passenger still entangled in it and fled the scene. Authorities are still looking for the driver, who will be charged with Failure to Stop and Render Aid – Serious Bodily Injury.

Did You Know?

Failure to Stop and Render Aid – Serious Bodily Injury is a third-degree felony, punishable by 2 to 10 years in prison and $10,000 in fines.

Passenger Injury Claims in San Antonio

Usually, when you think of insurance claims after an auto accident, you imagine that you would be driving the vehicle you were injured in. However, more than 500,000 people were injured in auto accidents as passengers in 2020 alone. Therefore, it is important to know what to do if you were injured as a passenger in an auto accident in San Antonio.

What to do After an Accident as a Passenger

The first moments after an auto accident as a passenger can be shocking and confusing. The first thing a passenger or driver should do after an auto accident is to make sure no one is in need of immediate medical attention. If anyone is injured, contact emergency medical services immediately.

Once you have attended to immediate medical needs, gathering information is critical. You will need:

  • Contact and insurance information of any drivers involved,
  • Names and contact information of witnesses,
  • Photos of the accident scene,
  • and how to get a copy of the police report.

Insurance Claims as an Injured Passenger

Compensation can come from three sources as an injured passenger:

  1. Your Insurance – Personal insurance may be used to cover the costs of your injuries, such as PIP insurance.
  2. The Other Driver’s Insurance – If the other vehicle was responsible for the accident, the driver’s insurance may be a source of compensation for your injuries.
  3. Your Driver’s Insurance – If the driver of the vehicle you were in is responsible for the accident, then their insurance may also be a source of compensation for your injuries.

Regardless of where your compensation comes from, it is important to notify your insurance company as soon as possible after an accident if you were injured. Additionally, it is important to note that if one driver’s policy does not fully cover the cost of your injuries, you may also pursue the remainder of the damages from another liable driver.

When to Pursue a Lawsuit

If the severity of your injuries and total damages (pain and suffering, emotional distress, etc.) is not covered by the insurance company’s offer, then it’s a good idea to contact an attorney to discuss filing a lawsuit. This is often the case when your injuries and the impact they had on your life were severe.

Injured in an Auto Accident?

Whether you simply need help filing an insurance claim or wish to file a lawsuit, Carabin Shaw attorneys can help. We have thirty years of experience serving San Antonio, and we put our clients first through every step of the process. Contact us today at 800-862-1260 or fill out this form to get started. We look forward to serving you.


Contact Information