Next Steps for Medical Malpractice Victims in Laredo
Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor, hospital, or other healthcare professional causes injury to a patient. Most of the time, the majority of medical malpractice cases in Laredo are grounded in negligence.
Similar to other negligence cases, the patient in medical malpractice cases must be able to prove that the doctor or healthcare provider owed them a duty to care and that the doctor failed to exercise that duty or made errors in diagnosis, treatment, outpatient care, or health management. Other examples of medical malpractice include unnecessary surgery, misreading or ignoring laboratory results, failure to order proper testing or failure to recognize symptoms.
If you think you or a loved one has been a victim of medical malpractice, the next steps for medical malpractice victims in Laredo below can assist you in where to begin.Next Steps for Medical Malpractice Victims in Laredo:
- Contact an attorney: If you believe you or a loved one has fallen victim to medical malpractice in Laredo, it is imperative you contact a medical malpractice attorney in Laredo and explain your situation thoroughly. If an attorney believes your case is viable, one of the first steps he or she will most likely take is to obtain your medical records. It is harder for patients to obtain medical records on their own, so having an attorney can expedite the process of starting your medical malpractice claim. When looking into attorneys to assist you in your case, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Look into your attorney’s history: Ask the office of your attorney for his or her history and past settlements involving medical malpractice. As you begin to talk with attorneys, be sure they are knowledgeable on the subject; they should be able to answer all reasonable questions regarding your case. If they are unable to do so, continue searching for an attorney who is an expert in medical malpractice by responding to all of your questions and concerns.
- Be sure you are comfortable: Being a victim of medical malpractice can be stressful and painful, so making sure you are comfortable with who you are disclosing your information to can help make the process that much easier.
- Investigation of medical records: After your Laredo attorney has obtained your medical records, they will interview you to obtain all the information needed about you and your health to proceed with your case. After interviewing you, they will carefully review your medical records in Laredo to see if the information is strong enough for a medical malpractice case.
- Hire a medical expert: If your attorney concludes that you have enough evidence for a medical malpractice case, they will often employ a medical expert that practices in the same specialty as the defendant to serve as a witness. The medical expert will also use his or her credentials to determine whether or not the doctor or healthcare professional was negligent in their duties.
- Prove negligence: Your attorney and medical expert will work to prove negligence as a factor in your medical malpractice case. Proving negligence is key to your chances to be compensated for the pain and suffering you may be experiencing as a result of a medical malpractice incident.
- Negotiations: Many Laredo medical malpractice cases are settled before going to trial. Negotiations and settlements may be offered at this point in the investigation.
- Filing a lawsuit: If negotiations are not settled, your attorney will file for a lawsuit. In medical malpractice cases, it may take between one to three years for the medical malpractice lawsuit to make it to trial.
The next steps for medical malpractice victims in Laredo above will help you determine where to start if you are involved in a medical malpractice case. Contact the seasoned team of professionals at Carabin Shaw to help assist you in your Laredo medical malpractice case at 1.888.682.1260 for your free consultation today.