Port Aransas Hurricane Harvey Home Repair Claim
The city of Port Aransas experienced the undeniable destructive force of Hurricane Harvey on August 25th. There has not been a storm of this magnitude since 1961, which brought in an estimated amount of $180 billion in damages, leaving business, homes, and property destroyed. The Category 4 Hurricane has displaced over 30,000 people, leading to over 17,000 rescues.
It will take an overwhelming amount of work to rebuild these communities and homes, but the people of Texas, including Port Aransas, are hopeful to regain a sense of what their lives used to be. Carabin & Shaw can offer you the help of our Port Aransas hurricane insurance claims lawyer if you are among those living in Port Aransas seeking help to rebuild or repair their home.
One of the cities most affected by this now notorious storm is Port Aransas. Unfortunately, 90% of the city is damaged, leaving residents of the town scrambling to repair their homes and contacting their insurance companies. Things can get hectic in a time like this, and insurance companies will make the process of filing a Port Aransas Hurricane Harvey home repair claim even more difficult. The insurance adjusters may underestimate the damages on your house, and will always try to give you the least amount of money for your claim. This risk especially heightened during a natural disaster.Steps to Take After a Hurricane
Filing a claim can be a confusing and stressful process. In this time of need, we can offer you a few tips that may make this process easier for you.
- Know that it is safe to return back to you home. If you were evacuated, you can’t immediately return back to your home after a hurricane. Wait until officials inform you that your area is safe, and has a clear path in order for you to get there. The reason for this is solely to protect you and others. There may be debris and water still blocking roads. Also, there may still be rescues goings on, and you wouldn't want to interfere with the process of conducting those rescues.
- Document your evacuation expenses. The money you spend while you are evacuated can be reimbursed in your claim. Keep the receipts and a log of the money you spend on food, gas, and lodging. When the time is right, you can present this to your insurer.
- Take photos. It is imperative that you document the number of damages done to your home by taking as many pictures as possible. Later on in the process of making claim, these pictures will help you in case the adjuster fails to recognize any damages. You may also want to write down any items in the house that were damaged. Keeping a log of everything is always helpful.
- Repair only when necessary. Only make repairs if you absolutely must to prevent further damage. Things you may want to repair immediately include broken windows and holes in the roof. These things can be covered with tarp or plastic to minimize more damage done to the inside of your home. Take pictures before repairing anything.
- Look at your insurance policy. Check your insurance policy to see what coverage they offer. If you aren't able to find your policy, you can look it up online or over the phone, and find out who your agent is as well.
- Call your agent and document the call. Inform your agent about the damages and proceed to file a claim. It is important to file a written report if possible for documentation purposes. If you are recording the call, you can use it later in case your agent treats you unjustly.
- Make your Port Aransas Hurricane Harvey home repair claim. When the claim is made, an adjuster will come to your house and give you an estimate on how much the insurance company can give you for your damages.
- Report suspicious behavior. If you have a feeling that you are being treated unfairly by your insurance company you should contact an attorney immediately. Insurance companies will be looking to give you the least amount of compensation possible, so it is important to have an experienced lawyer to help you negotiate with your insurer.
The attorneys at Carabin & Shaw can help you through the process of filing a Port Aransas Hurricane Harvey home repair claim. Our lawyers have over 25 years of experience in dealing with insurance companies. We will make sure that you are treated fairly and that you received the compensation you deserve for the damages your house has sustained. Call an attorney as Carabin & Shaw at 361.717.4411 or 800-862-1260 for you free consultation today about Port Aransas Hurricane Claims.