San Antonio Car Wreck Checklist
From July 2015 to July 2016, San Antonio and Bexar County experienced an unprecedented boom of over 33,000 new residents to the region. It was third most of any county in the state that year behind only Houston’s Harris County and Dallas’ Tarrant County. These numbers indicate that Texas is one of the fastest growing states in the nation, and San Antonio is one of its foremost burgeoning cities, and as the city grows, traffic and its inherent and inevitable collisions on its roadways increase too.
Don’t be caught in a San Antonio car wreck accident without a plan – keep this San Antonio car wreck checklist in your glovebox in case the worst happens to you on the road.
When involved in an auto collision, this San Antonio car wreck checklist can be a lifesaver for drivers and passengers alike. If you are find yourself in just this situation and wondering what to do, follow these simple steps and protocols in the crucial moments after the crash:
- Put on your emergency flashers so other drivers will go around you.
- Check to see if anyone in your car is injured, and if so, call for proper medical assistance.
- Exit your vehicle if it is safe to do so and you are physically able.
- Check to see if anyone in the other vehicle is injured, and if so, call for medical help.
- Report the accident to the San Antonio Police Department.
- Take a picture of the scene of the accident with a camera or your smartphone
- If you can safely move your vehicle, move it to the shoulder of the road to prevent further collisions and traffic jams from oncoming traffic.
After any auto accident, it is important to understand that you may have options for dealing with your damages and expenses, and you deserve to know them. If the accident was the fault of another driver’s negligence, you could be eligible for compensation and should contact an attorney for guidance.
But even as you begin the search for proper legal guidance, the development of your claim has already long begun. From the moment of impact, the clock starts ticking to obtain evidence and important information that may prove to be your best asset to your claim. There are a few steps you can take at the outset to mitigate damages and establish a line of communication with other involved parties before you ever hire a lawyer:
- Exchange names, address, telephone number, and insurance information with other drivers.
- Obtain the names, address, telephone numbers or other contact information of any witness as well, pedestrian or otherwise, so you know who to call if the accident needs to be further investigated or any detail deciphered.
- Do not discuss the accident with other drivers or witnesses, as this can be used against you.
- Remember as many details as you can, and, as soon as possible, write down all facts surrounding the accident, including the time, date, and location of the accident, weather conditions, visibility, and the presence of any witnesses.
- If the police have indeed been summoned, remain at the scene of the accident until the responding officer says you are permitted to leave
- Call your insurance company and report the accident to them.
- Finally, call your attorney if you believe you have a case for compensation for your injuries and damages.
If you or someone you love has suffered due to another driver’s negligence in San Antonio or greater Bexar County, always complete the above San Antonio car wreck checklist, and then contact one of Carabin & Shaw’s San Antonio car wreck injury attorneys for further assistance. We offer all potential clients an initial consultation free of charge to help them understand their best options moving forward, and we even have bilingual lawyers for Spanish-speaking clients.
To ensure you obtain maximum compensation and reclaim your life after a collision, call the attorneys at the law offices of Carabin & Shaw in San Antonio today at 210-222-2288 or toll-free at 1-800-862-1260.