San Antonio Dog Bite Attorneys
Anyone who has experienced a serious dog bite will tell you that the days and weeks after can bring with them feelings of surprise, confusion, and fear. These incidents typically happen quickly, and victims usually don’t have much time to react. Whether an injury is life-threatening or minor, peace of mind and ease of recovery are often the primary goals for dog bite victims who might be wondering how to pursue damages for their medical bills.
This is why it is important to secure a lawyer as quickly as possible after a dog bite in San Antonio. Expert representation can help victims obtain and document the information necessary to secure a larger claim, and that’s exactly what Carabin Shaw offers. We have decades of experience getting our San Antonio clients the justice they deserve, and will put all of our resources into your case so you can get back to your life.What Does the Law Say About San Antonio Dog Bites?
You’d be right to assume that pet owners hold the ultimate responsibility for their pet’s actions, but Texas operates under the “one bite rule,” meaning that an owner is not liable for their dog’s first bite, but is henceforth put on notice of their dog’s tendency to bite others and can be deemed negligent in future biting incidents.
The personal injury attorneys at Carabin Shaw can help determine owner negligence, as they will likely claim they did not know their dog might bite. In lieu of proving a history of biting from the dog, negligence can be demonstrated by showing that the owner did not make a sincere effort to restrain their dog. This also applies to injuries that aren’t bite-related, like getting knocked over or jumped on—if you get injured by someone else’s dog in San Antonio, there are several routes a lawyer can pursue to get you the compensation you’re owed.
In rare cases, a police dog will cause severe injuries to someone while on-duty. When this happens, the municipality holds responsibility for damages to an innocent person, and these cases can be particularly intimidating for the victim. Our attorneys will fight aggressively for you and make sure you feel supported throughout the entire process.Next Steps for Victims of a Serious Dog Bite
Your health and safety are the most immediate concern in the wake of a dog bite, so after getting the owner’s contact information, follow these steps to ensure your injuries get addressed quickly and effectively:
- If you believe your injuries are not life-threatening, then keeping the wound clean is your top priority.
- Run warm water and soap over the bitten area for a few seconds to clean away debris.
- Use steady pressure and a clean cloth to slow any bleeding.
- If you have any antibiotic cream, use it according to the package instructions.
- Wrap the wound in a clean bandage.
- Even if you don’t feel the bite is severe, you should still seek medical attention. Doctors can offer an expert perspective and advice for ongoing care to keep your wound from getting infected.
- Keep track of your medical history and any documents related to a dog bite injury. Your lawyers will need this information to more accurately determine the damages you can receive.
We know that the financial stress of medical bills and missed work can make pursuing representation seem difficult, which is why we offer free case reviews and initial consultations, and we don’t get paid until we win for you. Look at Carabin Shaw’s client reviews to see how we’ve helped Texans win their personal injury cases for decades.
We’re here 24/7 to speak to you, so call us toll-free at 800-862-1260 to learn how we can help you. We have both English and Spanish-speaking representatives available to answer your questions.