San Antonio Trucking and Commercial Vehicle Accidents
Every time a driver sets out on San Antonio roads, they are entrusting their safety to the caution of their fellow drivers. While auto accidents are relatively common, the majority of time there is only minor damage done (usually inflicted on the vehicle rather than drivers or passengers) and the matter is easily resolved by insurance companies. However, when a commercial vehicle is introduced into the mix, the likelihood of survival lessens and the chance of surviving without incurring serious injury is almost zero.
What is it that makes commercial vehicle accidents so dangerous? How common are they-- and should you be worried? What should you do if you or a loved one have already suffered one of these collisions? The following educational guide to commercial vehicle accidents in San Antonio can help ensure local drivers are prepared in the event that they are required to file a commercial vehicle accident injury claim.What Is a “Commercial Vehicle Accident”?
Broadly speaking, a “commercial vehicle accident” is any collision involving at least one vehicle used for transporting cargo, passengers, or other commercial business. While this definition covers a wide range of vehicles from passenger buses, ice cream trucks, cargo vans, and limousines, by far the most common and deadliest form of commercial vehicle accidents involves semi-trucks, 18-wheelers, or big trucks.Commercial Truck Accident Statistics
What are the facts San Antonio drivers should know about big trucks and commercial vehicle accidents? The following statistics regarding San Antonio trucking and commercial vehicle accidents demonstrate the dangers and frequency of these collisions.
- Semi-trucks weigh about 80,000 pounds on average; in comparison, an average car weighs 4,400 pounds.
- It takes a semi-truck 40% longer to stop than an average passenger vehicle, significantly impacting driver response time.
- Sundays are the days with the least reported commercial vehicle collisions on average.
- According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, data from 2019 proved that “5,237 large trucks and buses were involved in fatal crashes, a 2-percent increase from 2018.”
- Additionally, the FMCSA found that the average cost of an 18-wheeler accident is approximately $148,279.
- In a 2016 study by The Texas Department of Transportation, it was found that Bexar County had the third highest car accident rates in the state of Texas with 88% of these occurring in San Antonio.
- The Costs of San Antonio Commercial Vehicle Accidents
The losses suffered by commercial vehicle accident victims, their families, and their communities are immense. Losses in a commercial vehicle accident claim are categorized into physical, financial, or emotional damages.
- Physical injuries such as:
- Broken bones
- Amputated limbs
- Disfiguring scars
- Head trauma
- Friction burns
- Financial losses such as:
- Medical bills
- Property damage (loss of vehicle)
- Therapy co-pays
- Lost wages/wage-earning ability
- Lost employment benefits
- Emotional damages such as:
- Chronic pain
- Long term suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Trauma symptoms
- Anxiety and depression
- Loss of a loved one
- Reduced quality of life
Whatever you have lost after a semi-truck collision, you deserve compensation. Consult with a qualified attorney to see what damages you are eligible to claim.Call the Texas Law Firm at Carabin Shaw Today to Schedule Your Free Case Review
Do you need help after a serious semi-truck or commercial vehicle accident? If you are looking for a passionate, dedicated, experienced auto injury lawyer to represent your commercial vehicle accident claim, the team of Carabin Shaw has you covered. With our thirty years of experience representing accident victims and their families, we are confident our team of San Antonio trucking accident lawyers can help you seek the financial compensation you deserve.
Carabin Shaw would be proud to represent you and your family during this difficult time. To schedule your no-cost, no-obligation case review with an experienced Carabin Shaw commercial vehicle accident injury lawyer, contact our 24/7 English and Spanish-speaking staff at 800-862-1260. To hear from our prior clients, read Carabin Shaw’s client reviews page.