Serious Injuries After an 18 Wheeler Accident in North Dakota
18 wheelers are undoubtedly dangerous. For every 15,000 trucking accidents, there are 2,000 serious injuries, which means getting into an accident with an 18 wheeler can leave you suffering. If you or a loved one has been involved in an 18 wheeler accident in North Dakota, you need someone to fight for you.
A North Dakota truck injury attorney can review your case and work with you to come up with a strategy to win the compensation you deserve. North Dakota attorney James Shaw has years of experience working 18 wheeler accident cases, and he knows how to fight for victims of these horrific accidents.The Most Common Types of Severe Injuries In Trucking Accidents
When a normal passenger vehicle collides with an 18 wheeler, it can have dire consequences. 18 wheelers can be nearly 80,000 lbs heavier than a regular car, which means the impact often causes serious injuries. Below are the most common types of severe injuries victims suffer in a trucking accident:
- Head injuries - Head injuries usually occur when the impact of the crash causes the head to hit a part of the car, such as the steering wheel. Head injuries can be mild like a small concussion to severe like life-altering traumatic brain injury. Depending on the severity of your head injury, you may need medical treatment for days, weeks, or sometimes the rest of your life. If you’ve suffered a head injury, talk to an attorney as soon as possible.
- Spinal cord injuries - Spinal cord injuries happen often in trucking accidents, and sometimes the injuries are not readily apparent at the scene of the accident. Dislocated disks, muscle damage, or damage to the spine are some examples of what spinal cord injuries can look like. In serious cases, damage to the spinal cord can result in paralysis.
- Lung and heart damage - 18 wheeler accidents often break ribs which can puncture the lungs or the heart. Surgery is usually required to repair the damage that happens in these circumstances. A North Dakota 18 wheeler accident attorney can help if you were injured in an 18 wheeler accident.
- Burns - Aside from injuries caused by the crash’s impact, 18 wheeler accidents can also lead to burns. 18 wheelers have larger fuel tanks than passenger vehicles, and when the spilled fuel ignites, it could lead to victims being burned. Burns can cause disfiguration and permanent scarring.
- Broken bones and tissue damage - A crash with an 18 wheeler can cause multiple broken bones. Recovery from broken bones can take months, and under certain circumstances bone and tissue damage can take a long time to rehabilitate. The burden of these expenses should not be on you. A lawyer can help you win damages.
Winning a truck accident is not always easy. To win a trucking accident, you and your attorney will need to prove the following four key elements:
- Duty of care
- Breach of duty of care
Ultimately, you’re filing suit so that you can win damages for the impact your 18 wheeler accident has had on your life. To make your trucking accident case, your North Dakota truck injury attorney will use the following types of evidence:
- Witness testimonies
- Trucking company maintenance and service records
- Your medical records
- Driver’s logs
- Expert testimony
- Accident reconstruction
- Any video or camera footage
- The “black box” data
If you’ve suffered serious injuries after an 18 wheeler accident, you deserve compensation. Trucking companies are huge corporations represented by a team of lawyers whose job is to pay you as little as possible. Don’t let that happen.
North Dakota attorney James Shaw can beat big trucking companies and make them pay for the damage they’ve caused. Never settle for less than you deserve. If you need a North Dakota 18 wheeler accident attorney, call us today at 1-800-555-0101 for a free consultation.