Statute of Limitations for San Antonio Burn Injury Cases
After experiencing a catastrophic burn in San Antonio, you deserve justice. Third and fourth degree burns can leave you with permanent scars, disfigurement, and loss of limbs that make it difficult to enjoy life as you did before. When someone’s life is changed forever because of serious burns due to another’s negligence, the victim should be compensated for what they’ve had to endure.
If you or a loved one has experienced severe burns, you should seek a San Antonio burn injury lawyer to review your case. Our San Antonio personal injury lawyers at Carabin Shaw are dedicated to helping victims of personal injury cases fight for the compensation they’re rightfully owed.Elements of Negligence in a Burn Injury Claim
When fighting for justice, you have to prove how the defendant was negligent. In a personal injury case, you and your lawyer must illustrate the following four elements to win damages:
- The opposing party owed you a duty of care, defined as acting in the same way that another reasonable person would act under the same circumstances.
- The defendant breached that duty of care, meaning they did not act the way that another person of reason and prudence would have acted under the same circumstances. A breach of duty of care makes the defendant negligent.
- The opposing party’s negligence was the direct cause of your injuries. To prove this element, you’ll need your medical record and possibly expert testimony, which is why it’s imperative to visit the doctor or hospital as soon as you can after an accident.
- The injuries caused by the opposing party’s negligence lead to both economic and non-economic damages. Here, your attorney will list your damages and explain the extent of their economic impact on your life.
If you have questions about the process of proving your case, ask our accident lawyers serving San Antonio.Causes of Burn Accidents
There are a number of ways that burn accidents can happen. Car accidents, kitchen fires, and chemical burns are just a few of the many ways that contact with heat can leave you a victim of burns in San Antonio.
Below are some of the most common causes of burns:
- Hot steam or liquid
- Car accidents
- Contact with electrical currents
- Radiation from X-rays
- Chemical burns from strong alkaline or acidic substances
- Hot objects such as a stove, metal, or coal
- Fires in apartments, hotels, or a place of business
- Gas explosions
- Malfunctioning products
No matter the cause of your burn injury, you deserve to be compensated for your injuries, which can be difficult to win alone. Working with experienced San Antonio burn injury lawyers is often the best way to get the damages you deserve. They can answer any questions you have, offer you professional legal advice, and give you peace of mind that your case is being taken care of.Statute of Limitations
To earn compensation, you have to file a lawsuit. Every type of personal injury case has a statute of limitations, which is the window of time you’re allowed to file within to pursue damages. The statute of limitations for San Antonio burn injury cases is two years from the date of your injury.
If you miss this window, you may be unable to go forward with your lawsuit. There are, however, some exceptions depending on the circumstances of your case.The Law Firm That’s Here to Help | Free Case Review
When you suffer from burn injuries in San Antonio, the negligent party should pay for the damage they’ve done. Our accident lawyers serving San Antonio can help you get the justice you deserve.
The experienced San Antonio personal injury lawyers at Carabin Shaw have been fighting for victims of burn accidents for decades. We care about every person we represent, which is why we’ve been named a top 10 law firm in client satisfaction.
For a free initial case review, fill out this online form or call today at 877-697-0261.