Taking Action After a Houston Swimming Pool Accident
Swimming pools are a relaxing way for families in Houston to beat the Texas heat, but they can also be sources of accidents and injuries for swimmers, especially young children. For children under the age of 10, for example, swimming pools are 100 times more dangerous than guns.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a swimming pool accident, you need a Houston swimming pool accident lawyer on your side. You should not be responsible for the damages you’ve suffered because of someone else’s negligence. You need an attorney who will fight for you and make the negligent party pay for the injuries they caused.Steps to Take After a Swimming Pool Accident
After a swimming pool accident in Houston, it’s important to take the following steps for your best chance at compensation:
- Contact the police- Although you may not want to call the police on friends or neighbors when a pool accident occurs, it’s important that you do. The dispatched police officer will document the scene of the crime and relevant details, which will be important for your lawyer as you build your case. Memory is short, and you may not remember the weather conditions, the time of day of the accident, and other important information that may be lost without a police report.
- Seek medical attention- Obviously, if you’re injured, you should seek medical attention. Even if you feel like your injuries don’t require a trip to the hospital, it’s important that a medical professional evaluate your condition. This visit will ensure that you’re on the quickest road to recovery, and it will also document your condition in your medical record. Later, this documentation will be useful when your personal injury attorney in Houston is presenting your case.
- Document evidence- In addition to the police report, you should document as much evidence as you can. The more you have, the easier it will be to make a convincing case. You should take photographs of the accident scene, documenting anything and everything that you think relates to the accident. You should also keep a journal of your injuries and your recovery process.
- Never admit fault- After an accident, it’s important you never admit fault, even once. If you do, it can jeopardize your chance of winning any compensation for your injuries and damages. This step is important to remember when talking to insurers. They may seem nice, but their job is to try to settle with you for less. They may ask leading questions in hopes that you’ll say something incriminating. Be on your guard when talking to insurers, and avoid talking to them, if possible, until you’ve received legal counsel.
- Stay off social media- In today’s world, social media is a regular part of many people’s lives. However, posting on social media after an accident can sometimes affect the amount of damages you can earn. If you have sustained injuries that prevent you from going to work, but then post a picture of you spending time with your friends or family, the defendant may use this against you to show your injuries aren’t as bad as you claim. When in doubt, don’t post.
When you’re involved in a swimming pool accident, you deserve compensation. Taking action after a Houston swimming pool accident is not always easy, but when you work with the right legal team, it can make the process much less difficult for you and your family. An experienced Houston swimming pool accident lawyer will know how to prove the negligent party was at fault and that they owe you damages.
Carabin Shaw has been fighting for personal injury victims like you for nearly thirty years. If you want justice, you need our law firm on your side. For a free case review, call us today at 1-800-862-1260.