The Timeline of a Personal Injury Claim | Personal Injury Attorney San Antonio
If you’ve sustained injuries after an accident caused by someone else’s negligence in San Antonio, it’s likely that you’ll want to pursue damages. The medical bills piling up, lost income from missed work, and the pain you’re going through should not all have to come out of your pocket. Filing a lawsuit can seem daunting, but understanding the timeline of a personal injury claim is the first step to feeling more comfortable with the process.
Our team at Carabin Shaw has worked every kind of personal injury case you can think of, so we know what the steps of any case will look like. Of course, every piece of this timeline won’t apply to every case, but it’s useful to see the general process that a personal injury attorney San Antonio would take when working your case.The Timeline
The following steps are the typical timeline for a personal injury case in San Antonio:
- The accident - No one ever expects an accident to happen, but when the accident occurs, it’s important to be prepared. If you’re able to, be sure to document evidence of the scene by taking photos and getting witness testimonials. This process can go a long way in helping your San Antonio accident attorney build your case.
- Seek medical attention - As soon as possible after the accident, you must visit a doctor. This step not only ensures your well-being, but it also officially documents your injuries in your medical records, which will be vital evidence for your lawyer to draw the connection between the accident and your injuries.
- Consult legal counsel - After visiting the doctor, you should contact an attorney. Unless you have minor injuries, you will probably need legal representation if you want proper justice. They’ll be able to assess your case and work with you to get the compensation you are owed. When you’re searching for the “best personal injury attorney near me,” it’s important that you find someone with years of experience.
- Investigation and case review - To begin, your legal counsel will thoroughly interview you. They’ll want to know everything about the accident, so don’t hold back. Next, they’ll review your medical records, accident reports, and bills you’ve collected. Keep in mind, this phase of the process can take months.
- Negotiations - Many cases are settled before going to court, so your personal injury attorney San Antonio may try to negotiate a fair settlement with the insurers before going to trial.
- Lawsuit is filed - If a negotiation can’t be reached, the litigation phase begins. When the lawsuit is filed, the clock begins ticking on when the case will move to court. Typically, this process can take one to two years.
- Discovery phase - In this phase, both parties investigate each other’s defenses and claims including depositions from witnesses and the parties involved as well as document requests and “interrogatories”, which is a legal term for questions.
- Negotiation/mediation - Once both parties have reviewed each other’s claims, negotiations begin. Sometimes, negotiations are just between lawyers, but other times it will go to “mediations,” where a neutral third party is called in to help reach a fair settlement. Over 95% of cases never reach a jury.
- Trial - If a settlement can’t be reached, the case will go to trial. A trial can take as little as a day to as long as weeks or more. It all depends on the circumstances of your case.
The timeline of a personal injury claim will differ from case to case. To get a better understanding of what the process for your claim will look like, talk to an experienced San Antonio accident attorney. Our staff at Carabin Shaw has been working cases for victims like you in San Antonio for over 25 years. Stop searching for the “best personal injury lawyer near me,” because you’ve found them: Carabin Shaw. Call us today at (210) 222-2288 to speak with an attorney.