Types of Nursing Home Neglect | Top Laredo Attorneys
When the elderly are no longer able to care for themselves, a nursing home in Laredo is a viable option for many families. An assisted living facility should be a place where your loved ones receive the care and attention they need to live peacefully in their last years. In reality, however, nursing home care is often subpar, meaning residents could be subject to Laredo nursing home negligence. If your loved one has experienced nursing home neglect, you should speak with elder abuse lawyers in Laredo.
At Carabin Shaw, we know the pain nursing home neglect can cause. We believe nursing homes and their employees should be held accountable for any action that harms your loved one. We are the top Laredo attorneys. If you have questions about nursing home neglect, a lawyer at our firm is always ready to help you.What Is Nursing Home Neglect?
Nursing home neglect occurs when a nursing home resident does not receive proper or adequate care. Neglect is different than abuse because abuse implies a specific intent to harm the resident, whereas neglect is substandard care that results in harm. Neglect happens typically because elderly care facilities in Laredo are underfunded and understaffed, resulting in a disproportion between the number of residents and the number of caretakers. Regardless of the reason, nursing home neglect should never happen.
There are four types of nursing home neglect:
- Neglect of basic needs: Basic needs neglect occurs when the elderly care facility fails to provide a reasonable amount of water or food, or a clean, safe environment in which to live. Sadly, this is one of the most common forms of Laredo nursing home negligence. If your loved one did not have their basic needs met in a nursing home, be sure to discuss their circumstances with an attorney.
- Medical neglect: Medical neglect occurs when a nursing home provides inadequate medication, attention, prevention, or care to medical concerns such as diabetes, bedsores, cuts, infections, mobility issues, or cognitive diseases.
- Personal hygiene neglect: Nursing home caretakers can fail to provide adequate assistance with bathing, cleaning, laundry, brushing teeth, and other forms of hygiene.
- Social or emotional neglect: When the elderly are left alone for too long, repeatedly ignored, or yelled at by a staff member, emotional or social neglect occurs. Social and emotional neglect is not only wrong, but it’s also illegal. Get in touch with elder abuse lawyers in Laredo to get justice for your loved one.
An estimated that 2.5 million Americans are victims of nursing home neglect. However, most cases go unreported because the elderly are unaware of what’s going on or are afraid to voice their concerns. It is often difficult to spot the warning signs of elder neglect, so be sure to talk to a lawyer immediately if you notice any of the following symptoms:
- Weight loss, especially if it’s sudden
- Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores
- Change in appearance or effort
- Withdrawn behavior
- A personality change
If you believe your elderly loved one is a victim of nursing home neglect, speak with an attorney today.How You Can Fight Back
Nursing homes have a duty of care to all of their elderly residents. If they breach that duty of care, they can be held legally responsible for the damages they’ve caused. At Carabin Shaw, we will fight aggressively to get you and your loved one justice because no one placed in the hands of a nursing home should suffer. It’s a sad truth, but Laredo nursing home negligence is more prevalent than it should be. If you’ve been searching for “nursing home abuse lawyers near me,” you’ve come to the right place. We are here to help your loved one get the compensation they deserve.
You can reach us at 956-333-3333 or by dialing toll-free 1-800-862-1260.