Warning Signs of Nursing Home Neglect | Laredo Attorneys
Nursing homes exist to keep aging people safe and well-supported. Many homes, however, fall short of this mission. Abuse and neglect in nursing facilities throughout the country are higher than most people realize. The Nursing Home Abuse Center states that 95% of nursing home residents reported neglect within the past year. At Carabin Shaw, our attorneys believe that victims of nursing home neglect in Laredo deserve a voice in our legal system.What Qualifies as Nursing Home Neglect?
Nursing facilities are supposed to guarantee constant care for our loved ones. Laredo elder abuse lawyers know, however, that the majority of homes fall short of this goal. Many facilities are overwhelmed with patients and understaffed. Many workers lack proper training. And, perhaps most upsetting, many of them lack the empathy to care for others’ health and wellbeing.
The most common forms of Laredo nursing home negligence are:
- Medical neglect: Medical neglect occurs when a nursing facility fails to provide patients with enough attention, prevention, or treatment for issues like bedsores, cognitive disorders, cuts, diabetes, infections, and mobility issues. Contact a lawyer as soon as you suspect your loved one’s healthcare is being ignored.
- Personal hygiene neglect: This type of neglect happens when a nursing home does not help residents bathe, brush their teeth, clean, do laundry, or follow other hygienic practices. If you visit your loved one, you should be able to spot this neglect in action.
- Emotional and social neglect: When overstressed staff regularly disregards, leaves alone, or snaps at residents, emotional and social neglect occurs. Your loved one may be hesitant to talk about this behavior because it isolates them, but if they open up to you listen and act accordingly. Laredo attorneys can help your family move forward with a case.
- Basic needs neglect: Lastly, basic needs neglect occurs when a nursing home does not provide residents with adequate food and water or clean, safe living conditions. Like personal hygiene neglect, basic needs neglect is easier to spot in person. If you visit and something seems amiss, call a lawyer immediately.
If you’ve noticed a change in your loved one’s behavior, you might be on the lookout for warning signs of nursing home neglect.
Common signs of Laredo nursing home negligence include:
- Unusual or sudden behavioral changes
- Unclean living conditions
- Bed injuries, such as bed sores
- Dehydration and malnutrition
- Sudden changes in weight
- Fractures, cuts, and other injuries, especially if unexplained
- Unwillingness to speak in the presence of staff members
- Desire to be isolated from other people
If your loved one seems suddenly unwell or starts refusing your calls and visits, there may be cause for concern. Laredo elder abuse lawyers are familiar with cases involving various types of neglect and are ready to apply that knowledge to your lawsuit.The Law Supports Quality Elderly Care
National and state regulations safeguard the elderly from abuse. The Texas Health and Human Services Commission covers laws that defend elderly patients from neglect and abuse. Furthermore, the Texas Administrative Code demands nursing homes provide residents with essential services for “the highest possible mental, physical, and psychosocial wellbeing.” At Carabin Shaw, our team is familiar with these laws and regulations, and we are dedicated to supporting and protecting them.For Legal Advice, Choose Carabin Shaw
Selecting an attorney when you are already stressed is daunting. How do you know you are choosing the right one? If you live in Laredo and are searching for the “best nursing home abuse lawyer near me,” connect with us today. Our firm has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau for defending clients across Texas, and we are ready to use that expertise to help your family.
To schedule a free consultation with a Laredo nursing home negligence lawyer, dial 956-333-333 or call us toll-free at 1-800-862-1260.