What is the Process of a Dallas Auto Accident Claim or Lawsuit
When you get into an auto accident in Dallas, it can greatly affect your life. Every year, 3 million people are injured in car accidents in the United States, and those injuries come with steep medical bills and a lengthy recovery process. Insurers will grant you a settlement, but usually it’s the lowest possible offer for what you’re actually owed.
To get the money you deserve, you may need to file a lawsuit, but you may be wondering “what is the process of a Dallas auto accident claim or lawsuit?” An experienced Dallas auto accident attorney can explain how it works. Carabin Shaw is a firm that believes in fighting for clients until they get justice, and we vow to fight harder for you than any other law firm around.Pre-Litigation
If you’re going to file a lawsuit after a Dallas Texas auto accident, that actually won’t be the first step. You and your attorney will begin by reviewing the facts of your case, calculating and documenting your damages, and investigating your crash:
- First evaluation - Before starting the process of filing a lawsuit, you will have an initial meeting with your personal injury attorney in Dallas to review your case and make sure it is worth pursuing.
- Documenting damages - After the initial evaluation, your lawyer will look at your medical records to understand the extent of the wreck’s damage on your overall health.
- Investigation - Your medical records alone are not enough to make a case. Additionally, you’ll need evidence from the accident report, the crash scene, and eyewitness testimonies. A third party evaluation of your car’s condition and damages may be useful as well.
Once you’ve gone through the pre-litigation phase and decided you want to pursue your case, you’ll take the following steps to get the process in motion:
- Filing the lawsuit - Filing a lawsuit requires filling out the necessary paperwork. This process can be tedious, and if you make any mistakes, it could affect your potential to earn damages. Working with an experienced Dallas auto accident attorney can ensure all the paperwork is filled out properly so your case can move forward.
- Discovery - An important phase of any lawsuit is the discovery phase. During discovery, the plaintiff’s team and the defendant’s team must share the evidence and information they’ve gathered for your Dallas Texas auto accident case. Both sides are allowed to ask questions— known as “interrogatories”—and request documents.
- Negotiation and mediation - Real life is not like TV shows—most cases are settled undramatically outside of the courtroom, before going to trial. The experienced personal injury attorneys in Dallas will know how much the case is most likely worth, and each team will negotiate until they can reach a fair settlement that both parties are satisfied with.
If you cannot reach a settlement that you and your attorney agree upon, you can take your case to court:
- Going to court - Your case will be a jury trial, who will listen to the facts of your case and decide on a verdict. The case can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks or beyond, depending on the circumstances of your case.
- The appeals process - If you are unhappy with the verdict, you can file for an appeal with the appellate court. You can typically file an appeal only if the Dallas court made a noteworthy error in your case. The appeals process is difficult to navigate, which is why it’s always best to have a lawyer on your side.
Now that you can answer the question, “What is the process of a Dallas auto accident claim or lawsuit?”, it’s time to take action. You deserve justice. Carabin Shaw is a firm that believes in putting our clients first to make sure they get the compensation rightfully owed to them. Call today for a free consultation at 1-800-862-1260.