What is Truck Driver Negligence: Austin Attorneys
The city of Austin is bisected by a stretch of highway that runs north out of San Antonio all the way up to Austin. This ‘I-35 Corridor’ is one of the fastest growing areas in the state, and the constant and rapid increase in roadway traffic is indicative of not only growth in population density, but an increase in Austin 18-wheeler accidents as well.
Austin’s immediate adjacency to this bustling stretch of highway means that thousands of pounds of fast-moving machinery pass through the area each day in the form of commercial trucks transporting goods across Texas. When the drivers operating these vehicles become distracted on the road, the results can be disastrous for surrounding traffic.Fight Truck Driver Negligence With Austin Attorneys
Driver distraction isn’t the only threat that an 18-wheeler can present to surrounding traffic, but it is the most common form of truck driver negligence. Attorneys in Austin classify “truck driver negligence” as any type of distracted driving or carelessness behind the wheel of a large commercial truck that puts others in danger of harm. Truck driver negligence can take many forms; some of the most common are listed here.
- Texting/cell phone distraction: In 2011, there were more than 3,000 fatalities on American roads due to distracted driving. Additionally, studies now show that 1 in 4 car accidents in this country occur due to texting and driving. If the driver of a large commercial vehicle devotes his or her attention and vision off the road and onto a phone, his or her ability to react to on-road situations diminishes significantly.
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol: If you have been involved in an accident with a commercial 18-wheeler and you suspect the truck driver of drug abuse or intoxication, proving the presence of drugs or alcohol at the time of the collision can help strengthen your settlement. The presence of an attorney can help to secure you full compensation by solidifying the facts of the incident, and helping you prove in a legal setting that the driver’s negligent behavior was responsible.
- Mechanical failure: The manufacturer that made the vehicle or its parts may be at fault in cases where mechanical failure or engine malfunction results in an accident. Trucking companies and drivers are also responsible for the upkeep of maintenance, and either’s failure to regularly inspect the truck’s condition, perform routine check-ups, and keep maintenance logs up to date and accurate can cause them to be held legally liable by your attorney.
- Inattention to road signs and traffic signals: When a driver climbs behind the wheel of a big rig transporting thousands of pounds of cargo, they are assuming responsibility of driving defensively and obeying all traffic signs. Trucks of this size require an extra amount of emphasis on caution and safe operation, and when truck drivers break the rules, tragedy ensues.
- Fatigued driving: If a commercial truck driver is overscheduled or overworked, the probability of mishap increases dramatically. In fact, statistics indicate that falling asleep at the wheel can be just as dangerous to drivers and passengers as drunk driving; both have the potential to more than double the chances of an accident occurring.
- Improper training practices: Trucking companies often place the majority of their focus on delivery output and shipment deadlines. Unfortunately, their demanding schedules and emphasis on results over safety can put lives at risk. If an employee is not properly trained or qualified, or has not been thoroughly screened and undergone background checks, they may not be fully capable to operate the truck safely.
Because fault can be difficult to determine when circumstances are complicated, legal representation can be the difference between your ability to regain your life after a trucking accident. If you or someone you care about has been involved in an accident in Austin caused by truck driver negligence, Austin attorneys at Carabin Shaw are here for you today.
In every case we take, the Austin truck injury lawyers from Carabin Shaw assemble the facts, strengthen and solidify the evidence, and fight for our clients’ rights to full compensation for damages accrued. Our lawyers have more than 22 years of experience securing justice for victims of truck driver negligence across the state.
Don’t let a truck driver’s negligence become your burden to bear. Call the team of knowledgeable attorneys from Carabin Shaw today at our Austin offices at 512-832-1101 or anytime, toll-free, at 800-682-1260, or visit us in person at our Austin offices at 111 Congress Ave #500, Austin, TX 78704.
1609 Shoal Creek Blvd #100
Austin, TX 78701