What NOT To Do After A Car Wreck in San Antonio
San Antonio city streets are dangerous, and hundreds of accidents happen on them every day. If you’ve been in a San Antonio car wreck accident and your car’s been totaled or you’ve been injured, you may need to hire a San Antonio car wreck injury attorney with Carabin & Shaw to ensure you receive full compensation for your pain and suffering, and damages to your vehicle.
There are, however, a few important actions that can positively or negatively influence your claim before you ever even talk to an attorney. The following are key points to keep in mind, points on what you should do and what not to do after a car wreck in San Antonio, Texas.What to do and not to do After a Car Wreck in San Antonio:
- Never leave the scene of the accident until a report has been filed. You should call the San Antonio police and remain at the scene until the officer says you can leave
- After you call your insurance company and report the accident; do not discuss the accident with the other driver’s insurance company.
- Do not leave without exchanging and documenting insurance information with the other drivers involved.
- Look around for eyewitnesses who saw the accident; do not hesitate to ask for phone numbers and email addresses in case your attorney needs to contact them.
- The other driver’s insurance adjuster may contact you; direct them to your insurance adjuster or your Carabin & Shaw attorney; don’t discuss the accident with them.
- One of the most important points to remember about what not to do after a car wreck in San Antonio— do not discuss the accident with the other driver.
- Don’t lose your temper, get angry or start placing blame; this prevents you from thinking clearly and possibly acting responsibly.
- You may not think you’re injured or feel the impact of the accident immediately, but don’t neglect to seek medical attention to rule out injuries that may not be immediately noticeable; pain from automobile accident injuries usually surfaces on the second or third day following the accident
- Your insurance adjuster may offer to settle right away, so may the other driver’s adjuster. however, we highly recommend you do not settle without first consulting with a Carabin & Shaw attorney. A settlement is a legal binding agreement in San Antonio, so call us so we can help protect your rights.
- It’s very easy to say something that may be misinterpreted, even saying something as simple as, “I’m sorry” can be misinterpreted as admitting guilt. Also, don’t post statements on twitter, Facebook, or other social media; keep your information about the accident between you and your attorney.
- If you’re able, write notes on what you recall while the event is still fresh in your mind. Draw diagrams of the accident showing which direction each vehicle involved was headed.
- . Remember to get your belongings out of your vehicle if it is being towed.
Your words and actions can impact the amount of a compensation package awarded by the insurance companies. Call and speak with a San Antonio Carabin & Shaw attorney and let us be your voice with the adjusters.
When you seek medical care, make sure your doctor is aware of all aches and pains resulting from the accident. Sometimes in an effort to be strong or heroic, we respond to questions such as “how are you feeling” with “fine”. If the truth is that you’re hurting, then say so. If you’re not feeling okay, say so. Heroics won’t pay medical bills or help you return to work.
Call and talk with a Carabin & Shaw San Antonio car wreck injury attorney today; we’ll gladly review your case and help you determine the best course of action, and the initial consultation is always free. Our team of attorneys are available 24/7 and ready to help you get the full compensation you deserve. Call us today at in San Antonio at 210-222-2288.