What To Do After an 18 Wheeler Accident in North Dakota
Due to the oil industry in North Dakota, there has been a major influx of 18-wheeler traffic in the area over the past decade. Unfortunately, with the increase of 18-wheeler traffic comes the potential for dangerous collisions. Every year, North Dakotans are killed or injured in devastating 18-wheeler accidents.
If you or a loved one are among these accident victims, you may have many questions about the steps you should take. The offices of North Dakota 18-wheeler injury attorney James Shaw have provided a suggested guide for victims of 18-wheeler accidents, but be sure to consult with a qualified personal injury lawyer as soon as possible.I’ve Been Injured in an 18-Wheeler Collision—What Should I Do?
- First and foremost, any persons injured in the collision should receive emergency medical services. Because 18-wheelers are so large and the impact on smaller passenger vehicles is so damaging, often even the survivors of these collisions suffer severe or life-threatening injuries. Before any other steps are taken, you should call 911 to send an ambulance to the crash site.
- If you are coherent enough to do so, record the 18-wheeler driver’s name, license plate number, and insurance information. If you require further care at the hospital, make sure to get a copy of the official police report. The police should gather this information for their records.
- During the course of your treatment, keep track of your injuries sustained in the collision (i.e. head trauma, broken or fractured bones, severe burns, or paralysis). Injuries that may seem minor may develop or complicate over time. It is important to keep records that prove these injuries were sustained due to the collision.
- Keep careful records of any and all medical bills accrued due to the collision. What your health insurance doesn’t cover, you may be able to recover in a financial settlement. If the injuries sustained in the collision impact your wage-earning abilities or employment benefits, you could receive financial compensation for your economic damages as well.
- At this point, it is time to begin researching truck accident lawyers in North Dakota. Consider personal injury lawyers who have a history of representing 18-wheeler accident victims and receiving financial compensation for their clients.
- Once you have found a North Dakota 18-wheeler injury attorney with the requisite legal expertise and time and energy to devote to your claim, the bulk of your work is done. Your accident attorney will represent you during financial settlement negotiations and, if they cannot come to a fair agreement with the defendant’s legal team, the subsequent court proceedings.
Every 18-wheeler accident victim should receive a fair settlement to cover their damages, but unfortunately, this is not always the case. Big insurance companies often employ manipulative tactics to keep accident victims from receiving their due. However, with a qualified accident attorney representing you, you won’t have to worry about being taken advantage of by big insurance. As soon as is reasonably possible, contact an experienced North Dakota accident attorney.North Dakota Attorney James Shaw
If you or a loved one were injured in an 18-wheeler collision, contact the offices of attorney James Shaw. Call toll-free at 1-800-555-0101 for your no-cost, no-obligation initial consultation. If you would prefer to conduct your consultation in the comfort of your own home, take advantage of our video conferencing options.
Because of his three decades of legal experience and personalized attention to accident victims, North Dakota attorney James Shaw has earned his reputation as one of the most qualified truck accident lawyers in North Dakota. Schedule your consultation today and you can rest assured that attorney James Shaw is the best representative for your 18-wheeler accident claim.