What to do if You Suspect Nursing Home Neglect in Laredo
The elderly, the ill, and the infirm who require frequent care and careful supervision deserve every opportunity to live a full and comfortable life. In Laredo, most nursing homes have an occupancy rate of more than 85% of all available living spaces, leading to crowded and unsatisfactory living conditions. These residents each deserve individual attention, and when the nursing home staff fails to provide even the most basic essentials, the consequences can be devastating.
If you or someone you care about has suffered neglect at a nursing home in or around Laredo, Texas, it is important to understand that you have options regarding what to do if you suspect nursing home neglect in Laredo, and you deserve to know them. You may even be entitled to compensation for losses, damages, or injuries accrued. Fortunately, there is a lawyer at Carabin & Shaw ready to take on any cases of nursing home negligence that may arise in Laredo or anywhere else in Texas.
If you know any nursing home resident directly affected by the inattentiveness or mistreatment of staff, it is important to know that you have options. Perhaps even more important is your ability to correctly identify a case of nursing home negligence.
If you suspect nursing home abuse but are unsure what to do if you suspect nursing home negligence in Laredo, the first step to amending the situation is to recognize and identify the problem. A few common types of nursing home neglect that signify mistreatment include:
- Poor hygiene care
- Physical neglect
- Emotional and psychological neglect
- Mismanagement of medication
Once you have identified negligence as the problem, the next step regarding what to do if you suspect nursing home neglect in Laredo is to begin to document evidence. Upon detection of Laredo nursing home negligence, your plan of action should include these five preliminary actions:
- Inquire with the resident: Often, all it takes is extra attention and concern to encourage a victim of nursing home neglect to step forward and initiate changes. In order to properly identify the source and nature of the neglect, communication is key. Ask the victim what has happened and encourage them towards specific instances or other proof that may help to substantiate their claims of abuse.
- Document evidence: If the victim has sustained injuries or a worsened physical condition due to negligence, taking pictures as evidence of neglect or mistreatment can help prove the extent of neglect. The more specific details you can obtain, the better your chances of obtaining compensation and creating effective change not only for the victim, but other residents as well.
- Take preventative measures: Vigilance on behalf of the victim’s family, friends, and loved ones may prove to be the single most effective way to prevent nursing home neglect. Studies show that nursing home residents who are frequently visited by loved ones often have a better chance of avoiding issues of neglect and abuse by staff members.
- Obtain proper legal guidance: At this point, it is of the utmost importance that you seek the legal guidance of a qualified lawyer. Your individual predicament may require professional attention in order to obtain compensation and strengthen your case. Fortunately, a knowledgeable legal attorney from Carabin & Shaw is there for you.
If you believe that someone you know currently residing in a nursing home in Laredo or the surrounding region has fallen victim to any of the above forms of nursing home negligence, you may still have question. The lawyers at Carabin & Shaw want to hear from you. Do not hesitate to contact an experienced Laredo nursing home neglect lawyer. We are willing to offer all potential clients a free initial consultation to help you decide your best course of action, so contact a Carabin & Shaw attorney serving Laredo today at 800-862-1260.