What to Expect Filing a Swimming Pool Accident Claim in Texas
When most people think of swimming pools, they think of summer fun and relaxation. But if you’re one of the thousands of Americans whose lives has been forever changed by a serious swimming pool accident, you know all too well that swimming pools can be incredibly dangerous, or even some tragic circumstances, fatal. If your swimming pool accident resulted from another person’s negligence, you may be considering filing a personal injury claim. But do you know what to expect filing a swimming pool accident claim in Texas? If the answer is no, then don’t worry—the experts at Carabin Shaw in Dallas, Texas are here to provide an overview of the personal injury claim process.
Read on to learn about the phases of a personal injury lawsuit for a Texas swimming pool accident case, tips on choosing the right accident lawyer in Dallas, and more.What to Expect Filing a Swimming Pool Accident Claim in Texas, According to Expert Dallas Injury Lawyers
- Consult With and Hire an Attorney. The first step is to research, consult with, and hire an attorney to assist with your claim. This is important, because your attorney will help you determine whether or not you have grounds for a Texas swimming pool accident case and will help you understand your legal options, depending on the circumstances surrounding your accident.
- Your Lawyer Will Investigate the Claim and Review Medical Records. If you decide to move forward with the claim, the next step involves investigating the specific circumstances of the accident. The lawyer will interview you thoroughly about the accident, and will study accident reports to determine what happened and who should be held liable. They will also obtain your medical records and bills pertaining to the injury to determine how much you are owed in damages. This stage of the process can take several months, because your lawyer needs to know as much as possible about what happened.
- Your Lawyer Will Negotiate With or Make a Demand to the Other Attorney. Next, your lawyer will decide whether or not to make a demand to the other side’s attorney. If your lawyer believes the case can be settled, they may make a demand or enter negotiations. However, if negotiations fail or if the case involves a very serious injury, the next step is to move to the litigation phase.
- The Lawsuit is Filed and Discovery Phase Begins. The next step is for your accident lawyer in Dallas to file a personal injury lawsuit in court. Once this happens, the discovery phase begins. The discovery phase is the time period where each party investigates the other side’s legal claims and their legal defenses, requesting documents from one another and taking depositions. The discovery phase often lasts between six months and a year, though this time frame depends on the circumstances of your Texas swimming pool accident case.
- Negotiation, Mediation, and/or Trial Phase. Once the discovery period ends, your attorney will discuss settlements with the other side. Your claim may enter mediation at this point to help the attorneys reach an agreement. If negotiation and/or mediation fails, the case moves to trial. However, most personal injury claims do not go to trial.
When choosing a lawyer, the most important things to consider are experience, location, and compatibility. The right lawyer is someone who is located in the area where the accident occurred, who has plenty of experience handling cases similar to yours, and is someone who is a good fit for you.
If you’re ready to find out whether pursuing a personal injury claim is right for you, our Carabin Shaw team is here to help.
To schedule a free consultation with a qualified accident lawyer in Dallas, call our office serving Dallas, Texas at 1-800-862-1260.