Who Is Liable for a Dog Bite Injury in Dallas?
Have you been injured from a dog bite? From parks and nature trails to city sidewalks, dogs can be spotted nearly everywhere in Dallas, Texas. No matter a dog’s temperament, every dog can bite if it is spooked, sick, or feeling threatened.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports nearly 4.7 million dog bites in the United States every year. One in five people bitten by a dog requires medical attention. Most of the victims are children.
Dog bites can be costly and traumatic. With the help of a lawyer, you may be able to receive compensation from the dog’s owner.Dog Bite Laws in Texas
Who is liable for a dog bite injury? All dog owners in Texas submit to the “One Bite Rule.” Under this rule, dog owners are only liable for injuries if his or her dog has bitten someone at least once before.
There are exceptions to the “One Bite Rule,” however. If you have sustained an injury from a dog that has no record of biting, an attorney will work with you to build a case from one or more of the following circumstances:
- The owner knew the dog had potential to bite based on the dog’s behavior. This can include growling or baring teeth, acting aloof around people or other animals, or jumping aggressively on or against someone.
- The dog’s owner showed negligence or encouraged the dog to act aggressively. This includes cases where the owner has mistreated or abused the dog.
- The owner violated a law. The City of Dallas requires all dogs to be restrained by a secure fence, pen, or leash. “Beware of Dog” signs are not enough to prevent dog owners in Dallas from taking responsibility. If the dog that bit you was not restrained, even if it was a first time bite, the owner may be liable.
Dallas dog bite attorneys at Carabin Shaw will help you seek compensation for:
- Medical bills
- Reconstructive surgery
- Pain and suffering
- Counseling to heal from any psychological trauma
- Lost earnings due to time you may have needed to take off work to recover from your injury
If you are a dog bite victim in Dallas, there are a few steps you should take that will help you recover from your injury and build your case.
- Secure the owner’s contact information, including name, address, and phone number.
- Obtain contact information from any eyewitnesses.
- Seek medical attention for the injury. This is important to help you heal and prevent infection, but also for providing you with any medical records for proof of the incident.
- Take photos of the bite or bites. Take pictures when the wound is fresh as well as throughout the healing process.
- Call Animal Control to report the bite. Animal Control staff will write a report, which will provide an official record of the incident. They will also contact the dog’s owner and acquire proof of vaccination for rabies. Because Animal Control keeps records of dog bites, they will be able to notify you if the dog has bitten or injured anyone before.
- Contact a dog bite attorney in Dallas who has successfully managed dog bite cases to support you and build your case.
Do not wait to seek payment for what you have suffered and lost. A lawyer with experience managing dog bite cases will help you build a case and receive compensation. Carabin Shaw offers a free case review and initial consultation.
Carabin Shaw’s client reviews show that our attorneys will fight for you and your case every step of the way.
Call us toll-free at 800-862-1260 to schedule your free consultation. Someone is available to speak to you 24/7. English and Spanish speaking staff are available.