10 Best Attorney Client Satisfaction
Google verifed reviews
BBB - Acredited Business A+
Texas Trial Lawyers Association
AVVO Rating - James Michael Shaw 10.0

Appealing a Disability Decision

If you disagree with the decision at your administrative hearing, following a denied reconsideration, you may ask for a review by Social Security's Appeals Council. They will be able to help you request this review.

The Appeals Council looks at all properly submitted and documented requests for review. However, the Appeals Council may deny a request for review if it believes, on first look, that the administrative hearing decision was proper and correct. If the Appeals Council does decide to hear and review your case it will do one of two things. It may decide your case itself. It may also return your case to an administrative law judge for additional review.

Having an experienced social security disability lawyer help you prepare your Appeals Council request can greatly increase your chances of success.

Call us at Carabin Shaw, we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Call 800-862-1260.

If the Appeals Council denies your request for review, it will be send you a letter explaining the denial. The Appeals Council may review your case and make a decision itself. If it does, it will send you a copy of its decision. The Appeals Council may send your case back to an administrative law judge. If it does, you will get a letter from the Appeals Council and a copy of the order.

If you still do not get benefits or your benefits are still terminated, you have one more option. You can go to Court.

Going to Federal Court

You may disagree with the Appeals Council's decision. The Appeals Council may decide not to review your case. If either of these happen, you can file a lawsuit in federal district court. The Appeals Council will send you a letter telling you about the Appeals Council's action. In that letter the Appeals Council also will tell you how to file to get a Federal Court to look at your case.

Are You Allowed to Seek Help With That Process?

Yes. Many people handle their own Social Security appeals. Those people usually get free help from Social Security. However, you can still select a lawyer, a friend or someone else to help you go to Court. Someone you designate to help you is called your "representative." The Social Security Administration will work with your representative just as they would work with you if you were on your own. Your representative can act for you in almost all Social Security matters and will be sent a copy of any decisions made at any level about your claim.

Call us at Carabin Shaw, we will fight to get you the compensation you deserve. Call 800-862-1260.

Client Reviews
We are very glad we called Carabin Shaw after our accident. We now recommend them to everyone. - Griselda S.
You want Carabin Shaw on your side after an accident. They were excellent. - Valerie S.
In our opinion, no one is better, Carabin Shaw is the Law Firm you want on your side after an accident. - Amanda G.
The attorneys and staff went out of their way to help us after our accident. Thank you Carabin Shaw. - Melinda F.
We did our research after our accident and chose Carabin Shaw. They were great. Highly recommend. Joel Y.