Houston Burn Injury
Burns are physically and emotionally traumatic injuries. Serious burns may require extensive skin grafts or other invasive surgeries, and their damage can be permanent. If you’ve been burned in Houston, you know all too well the pain these injuries can inflict. But how common are burn injuries in Texas and across the United States? And how should you choose the right personal injury lawyer in Houston after you’ve been hurt by a serious burn?
If you’re looking for answers to these questions and more, our Houston burn injury lawyers at Carabin Shaw are here to help. Read on to learn more about fire injury statistics and how to consult with a lawyer for free.U.S. Burn Injury and Fire Statistics
You may be wondering just how common burn injuries are in the United States. And although the number of fires and fire deaths have been declining nationwide since the 1970s, fire injuries and fatalities are still a serious problem affecting thousands every year.
According to statistics:
- Every 24 seconds, a U.S. fire department responds to a fire somewhere in America
- According to the American Burn Association, 1.1 million burn injuries require medical attention each year in the United States
- It is estimated that 50,000 burn injury victims in America each year require hospitalization and 20,000 of these victims have major burns (involving at least a quarter of their total body surface)
- Each year, approximately 4,500 Americans die from burns and up to 10,000 more die due to burn-related infections
- The majority of burn injuries occur at home, followed by the workplace
- Most home fires are caused due to cooking accidents
- People ages 85 and up have the highest fire death rate
- People between the ages of 50 and 54 have the highest fire injury rate
According to the National Fire Incident Reporting System (NFIRS), there were 1.9 deaths and 7.4 injuries per 1,000 fires in Texas in the year 2018—lower than the national average of 2.5 deaths and 9.8 injuries per 1,000 fires.
For residential structure fire casualties in the same year in Texas, there were 5.8 deaths and 25.4 injuries per 1,000 fires. This data shows that residential fires are by far the deadliest fires in Texas, as is the case nationwide.
Also in 2018, California, Texas and New York led the nation in fire deaths while Mississippi, Oklahoma, Tennessee and Kansas had the most deaths per million population.Looking for the Right Personal Injury Lawyer? Call Carabin Shaw Today for a Free Consultation
Regardless of the circumstances surrounding your burn injury, it’s crucial to consult with an attorney to learn your legal rights after a serious accident. If negligence played a role in your accident, you may be entitled to substantial financial compensation to cover your injuries and other losses. And the trusted Houston lawyers at Carabin Shaw want to help however we can.
Here at Carabin Shaw, our team has been specializing in burn accident claims in Texas for more than two decades, and we’re here to help. Our attorneys have 200 years of combined legal experience and a passion for defending accident victims.
For a free and confidential consultation and case review with a personal injury lawyer in Houston —or just to learn what our expert Houston burn injury lawyers can do for you—call our office serving Houston today at 800-862-1260 or simply fill out our online form. Don’t wait—speak to the trusted Houston lawyers at Carabin Shaw today and learn how we can help you. Let us help you get your life back on track after a serious burn injury.