Hurricane Harvey Next Steps for Rockport Residents
Hurricane Harvey will go down in history as one of the most destructive Hurricanes to hit the Gulf Coast in over 50 years, leaving a horrific path of damages that will cost the United States Approximately $180 billion. The tropical storm has destroyed over 200,000 homes and has left over one million people displaced in the state of Texas. Unfortunately, the city of Rockport was one of the Gulf Coast cities to receive the full wrath of Hurricane Harvey’s eye wall, causing an unbelievable amount of damages to homes and businesses.
The events of a Hurricane can leave you unsure of what steps you need to take in order to rebuild your life. A Carabin Shaw Rockport hurricane insurance claims lawyer can offer help to those who have suffered from the events following Hurricane Harvey by providing a professional opinion on what steps to take next. Here we will offer you with an outline of “Hurricane Harvey Next Steps for Rockport Residents” to give you more of an idea of what you should be doing after the storm has passed.Hurricane Harvey Next Steps for Rockport Residents
After a devastating storm like Harvey, people may be distraught and confused, unaware of the necessary steps to take in order to resurrect their lives. The following steps will provide those in Rockport who have suffered from Hurricane Harvey with some clarity.
- Make sure it's safe before returning home. First and foremost, do not return to your house until officials have announced that it is safe to return to the area you live in. There could be roads blocked by fallen trees and debris – or flooded – that might be dangerous to you and your family. There may be rescue teams still making rounds, and your return can interfere with their ability to conduct those rescues.
- Keep evacuation expenses documented. If possible, keep receipts for the food, gas, and lodging you paid for while evacuating. You may receive compensation for these expenses, depending on your coverage.
- Take pictures. It is important to document the damages of your house with photos. When you make a claim later on with your insurance company, having these pictures will make the process exponentially smoother. Not only should you take pictures of the damages, but you should keep a logbook of all damaged items. It may seem like a grueling time-consuming process at first, but in the long run, it can make or break your case.
- Make only necessary repairs. Only make emergency repairs to protect your house from further damages. Broken windows and holes in your roof should be covered. You don’t want to start cleaning and repairing everything that is damaged until an adjuster from your insurance company comes out to your location. Your insurer must see the damages with their own eyes in order to give you the best settlement possible.
- Check your insurance policy. See exactly what your insurance policy covers. If you can't access your policy, there are people online who are more than willing to help you find your policy.
- Contact your agent, and record the call. Let your agent know about the damages and move to file the claim. Following up with a written notice is advised for documentation purposes. Recording the call with your agent isn't necessary, but anything and everything on file can only help your claim. An adjuster should come to you after you claim your damages.
- Something is not right. If you sense that the insurance company is underestimating the damages of your claim you should contact an attorney to help you with your case. Insurance companies are for-profit businesses who will do their best to give you the minimum amount of compensation in your settlement.
The Carabin Shaw law firm hopes that our “Hurricane Harvey Next Steps for Rockport Residents” helps you. Visit our website to learn more about Rockport Hurricane Claims.Contact Carabin Shaw’s Rockport Attorneys
The attorneys at Carabin Shaw are proud to help those affected by Hurricane Harvey in Rockport rebuild their lives. Our lawyers have over 25 years of experience working with insurance companies to give their clients the type of settlement they deserve. Call the attorneys of Carabin Shaw’s Rockport offices at 361.790.7788 or toll-free at 800-862-1260 day or night for your free consultation.