Laredo Daycare Sexual Abuse
Every day, thousands of parents in Laredo Tx rely on childcare services from over 200 licensed facilities in the area, trusting their children are safe while they work. Too often, that trust is broken. The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services reports that over 60,000 children per year suffer sexual abuse, with many reported in childcare facilities. Last year alone, Texas investigated over 1,000 allegations of child abuse in daycare.
If your child has been sexually abused by a daycare employee, the Texas daycare injury attorneys at Carabin Shaw are here to help your family during this trying time.The Long-Term Effects of Sexual Abuse
According to the U.S. Department of Justice, the most common form of sexual abuse is inappropriate touching or fondling, perpetrated most often by daycare employees. Of all the investigations into child abuse and neglect last year, around 20% involved some form of sexual abuse.
The signs of abuse aren’t always clear. Physical signs such as redness or bruising in sensitive areas are rare. Most often, the signs are emotional and behavioral.
Our sexual abuse lawyers in Laredo recommend you watch out for some of the most common signs, such as a sudden fear of daycare, fear of a specific employee, use of sexual language, knowledge of sexual acts, sleep disturbances, and regression to outgrown behaviors like bedwetting or thumb sucking.
Suffering abuse at such a young age often results in many of the following long-term effects:
- Depression is the most common long-term symptom of sexual abuse
- The stress of abuse often leads to academic difficulties
- Many survivors struggle with body issues and eating disorders later in life
- Survivors often experience chronic stress and anxiety
- A fear of intimacy makes it difficult for many survivors to establish interpersonal relationships
- Studies show that survivors have higher rates of substance abuse, delinquency, and crime than non-victims
Though this list is troubling, our sexual abuse lawyers serving Texas want you to know there is hope.Treating Child Sexual Abuse
The long-term effects of child sexual abuse can be mitigated through trauma-focused cognitive-behavioral therapy programs, which have proven successful in children from three to 18 years old. The programs are designed to address the issues of PTSD, depression, anxiety, relationship problems, academic problems, and cognitive issues.
The only major drawback is the cost. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, mental disorders are among the costliest conditions to treat, with over $200 billion in spending each year.
The cost of treating trauma-related disorders has increased at a higher rate than all other conditions and also has the highest out-of-pocket costs. Our Laredo daycare abuse attorneys know that the financial burden should be placed on the abuser and not the victim.Filing a Daycare Abuse Lawsuit in Laredo Tx
Every case is unique, so it’s important to consult with a lawyer to review yours. That said, a successful daycare abuse lawsuit in Laredo Tx will need to establish five things:
- The daycare center had an obligation to protect your child from harm (duty of care)
- The daycare breached that duty
- That breach of duty was the direct cause of your child’s injury
- The daycare could have prevented the injury
- You have proof of the nature and value of damages (tangible and intangible losses such as medical treatment, mental health services, and pain and suffering)
A verified case of sexual abuse usually establishes each of these much easier than an injury resulting from an accident.Carabin Shaw Can Get You Justice | Free Case Review
Child abuse laws vary by state. If your child is a victim of abuse, the local Texas daycare injury attorneys at Carabin Shaw are the most qualified to help your family get the justice it deserves. Call us toll-free at 800-862-1260.
Our English and Spanish-speaking staff are available 24/7 to schedule a free initial consultation with one of our attorneys.