Pedestrian Struck in Fatal Collision on I-37
According to a KSAT News report, a fatal pedestrian accident was reported on I-37 today.
Police did not release any details about the accident except that it was a 28-year-old woman. The fatal crash occurred at around 6 a.m. on August 10, 2023, and closed down the southbound lane of the interstate, though it has since reopened. The incident occurred on the Southeast Side near Southeast Military Drive.
Did You Know?
More than 800 pedestrian accidents occur on Interstate Highways in the United States annually.
Pedestrian Accident on Texas Interstates
Pedestrian accidents are an unfortunately common occurrence in Texas and across the United States. But why is that?
Factors That Contribute to Pedestrian Accidents
A report from the Governors Highway Safety Administration found some troubling information that sheds light on the subject. According to their report analyzing 2020 data:
- Pedestrian deaths are increasing faster than any other kind of traffic fatality.
- An estimated 7,485 pedestrians were killed in 2021, the largest number in 4 decades worth of data.
- Pedestrian accidents increased by 11.5% from 2020 to 2021
Further analysis of the data revealed that the most prevalent factor affecting this record-breaking increase was speeding. What’s worse? This trend in speeding accidents affects children the most, with deaths among child pedestrians younger than 15 more than doubling from 5.8% in 2018 to 11.9% in 2020.
Back to School Safety
As children begin returning to school across Texas, it is important that drivers be aware of these troubling statistics and take proper action to protect children and other pedestrians with which they share the road.
- Be Vigilant – Watch carefully for children in school zones and neighborhoods, especially during peak hours.
- Follow the Reduced Speed Limit – You won’t have enough time to stop for a child pedestrian if you are speeding. It’s the No. 1 reason for pedestrian accidents, so slow down.
- Put Away Distractions – Check your texts and order status later. Distracted drivers (which is illegal in Texas, by the way) are far more likely to miss erratic behaviors from children, leaving them with no time to react.
Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
While children and senior citizens are the most vulnerable demographic for pedestrian accidents, anyone can be seriously injured or killed in pedestrian accidents. Injuries in pedestrian accidents are almost always catastrophic, especially at Interstate speeds, and commonly include:
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Head Trauma
- Road Rash and Bruising
- Broken Bones
- Lacerations and Scrapes
Careless drivers are the most common reason for pedestrian accidents. Speeding through crosswalks and neighborhoods, driving drunk, and other reckless behavior leads to thousands of life-changing injuries and death for innocent pedestrians in Texas. If you or a loved one was injured or killed in a pedestrian accident, YOU NEED A LAWYER to make sure that you get ALL of the compensation you are legally entitled to.
Injured in a Pedestrian Accident in Texas? Hire Carabin Shaw.
Catastrophic injury recovery or grieving for a lost loved one is overwhelming for a person to deal with, even with the proper support. Why add complicated legal headaches into the mix? If you were seriously injured or lost a loved one in San Antonio or the surrounding area, contact the pedestrian accident attorneys at Carabin Shaw today at 800-862-1260 or via the live chat on the bottom right of your screen. We have 30 years of experience, and we put our clients first. We look forward to serving you.