Next Steps For Hurricane Harvey Victims in Rockport
Rockport experienced the full wrath of Hurricane Harvey, the first major hurricane to hit the Gulf Coast since 1961. This unbelievable storm caused an enormous amount of devastation to the region and its residents. In the aftermath of the storm, we are able to see the amount of damages and problems that the people of Rockport will have to deal with for the foreseeable future. Rockport residents will have to rebuild their lives by working with the community to erect new houses and businesses.
If you own property in Rockport in the aftermath of the Hurricane, you may feel lost and confused after a natural disaster of this magnitude. It is important to have someone who can help guide you through the steps to getting your life back after a horrific storm like this. To do just that, the attorneys of Carabin & Shaw have put together this list of recommendations for those who are just starting to pick up the pieces.Next Steps for Hurricane Harvey Victims in Rockport
Before making any Rockport hurricane claims, there are a few things to consider. If you are a victim of Hurricane Harvey and live in Rockport, you can follow these steps to get your life back in order.
- You may not have access to your home just yet. There is likely still debris blocking roadways and emergency vehicles making rescues, which can make it difficult to get back to your house if you evacuated. For your own safety, make sure to wait until your city advises you to return back to your homes.
- If the damages on the property are physically dangerous, you should wait to file a claim until it is safe to return back home and access the damages.
- When you are able to return home, hire professional contractors to assess the damages on your house. It will be helpful to have a second opinion when you contact your insurance company to claim compensation for the harm done to your home.
- Remember to take pictures and video of all damaged property as well. This will be yet another form of leverage when you deal with your insurance company later on.
- Check your insurance policy and see what exactly they cover. If you are a homeowner, most basic insurance policies do not cover flood damages, but most do cover damages caused by falling objects and wind. If you cannot access your policy, there are people online who can help you locate your policy and contact information for your agent.
- Call your agent. You will most likely be directed to a special website designed for people filing claims after natural disasters. Follow this claim up with a written letter if possible. You can still call your agent before you access damages just to notify them.
- Keep receipts of your evacuation expenses on file or recorded on paper. Gas, food, lost income due to missed work, and stays at a hotel should all be factored into the compensation you receive from the insurance company,
- When you do call an agent, make sure you document the conversation. Keep up with the agent as much as possible and do not let them underestimate your damages.
- If you feel like your agent is underestimating the damages and is considering either dismissing or reducing your claim, contact a Rockport insurance claims lawyer right away. A lawyer can help figure out what the next steps for Hurricane Harvey victims in Rockport are and how to apply them in this hectic situation.
Insurance companies are for-profit institutions that have every intention of giving their clients the minimum amount of compensation. An attorney of your own from Carabin & Shaw will fight for your claim’s full potential and for you to receive the compensation you deserve. We do not let insurance companies bully our clients into submission.
In such dire times as these, just as neighbors have to join hands over fences that need no tearing down, so must we extend a helping hand to the men, women, and children affected by this disastrous storm. There is no need to feel like you cannot ask for help. The next steps for Hurricane Harvey victims in Rockport are to seek for that help through a law firm you can trust. Carabin & Shaw’s lawyers are more than willing to help those affected by the storm get their lives back to normal.
Our attorneys have over 25 years of experience in dealing with insurance companies in the wake of a natural disaster. The lawyers at Carabin & Shaw are available day and night to offer a free consultation to those in need of relief from Hurricane Harvey. Call our Rockport location today at 361.790.7788 or our toll-free line at 1.800.862.1260 to schedule your free consultation.