Pleasanton Hit and Run Accident
Unfortunately, hit and run accidents are at an all-time high and can happen to anyone at any time, and Pleasanton is no exception. If you have been a victim of a hit and run Pleasanton auto accident, an attorney with Carabin Shaw is fully equipped to make sure you know the correct measures to take in order to receive the compensation and care you deserve.What is a Hit and Run?
At its core, a hit and run accident is defined as any accident in which a driver intentionally flees the scene of the accident without exchanging contact information and stopping to render aid, such as calling the police and/or fire department, or stopping to help anyone who may be injured.
The accident could involve the driver hitting a pedestrian, vehicle or private property. A hit and run also applies whether or not the driver being hit is in the car or if their car is left unattended, e.g. a driver hitting a car in a parking lot and failing to leave their contact information.
In all 50 states, fleeing the scene of an accident is considered a crime. Remember, if you are victim of a Pleasanton Hit and Run Accident, a Pleasanton Hit and Run Accident Lawyer can assist you with your case.What to do After a Hit and Run
If you are involved in a Pleasanton Hit and Run Accident, making sure you know what to do is crucial especially when protecting your legal rights and remedies. As with any accident, the damages of your injury or the stress alone is often enough to cloud your judgment in the moment. To top that off, in hit and run accidents, there is no other driver present to give a testimony of what happened or provide their information. Besides contacting your Pleasanton attorney, follow the steps below.
- Call 911 and make sure you file a police or accident report with Pleasanton authorities. Just because it is a hit and run doesn’t mean you shouldn’t file a report.
- Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and the scene of the accident.
- Record any information you may have from the hit and run driver, whether it was their license plate, car make and model, or any other distinct details of the other vehicle. This can help make it easier to track down the driver. This should also include a detailed report of how the accident occurred and which way you saw the driver flee.
- Locate witnesses and ask if they can provide any additional details about the accident. Accidents happen quickly and are often a blur, so calling on a third party who witnessed the accident can help you put together pieces of information needed for the police report. Witnesses will still prove very important in a Pleasanton hit and run accident.
- Call your insurance to report the accident and file a hit and run claim. Your insurance agent will walk you through the process. In most states, uninsured motorist coverage will help you pay for any damages or injuries that have occurred. A policy that includes uninsured motorist protection not only covers you in the event of a hit and run accident, you may also be financially protected if struck by an uninsured driver.
- Call an attorney in Pleasanton as soon as possible. The attorneys with Carabin Shaw are fully prepared to help you recover all of your costs and seek you through this stressful time.
Pleasanton Auto Accidents happen more frequently than you think. According to the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety, approximately 11% of accidents reported to the police involve at least one of the drivers leaving the scene of an accident.
If you fall victim to a hit and run accident in Pleasanton, call the attorneys of Carabin Shaw at 800-862-1260 toll-free, day or night.