Rockport Hurricane Harvey Wind Damage
Residents of Rockport and the surrounding communities of the Coastal Bend were among the hardest hit by Hurricane Harvey. The increasing ferocity of storms such as this is well-documented; even still, it’s been twelve years since the United States had a storm of this magnitude make landfall, and it probably won’t be the last of its kind to devastate Texas residents.
Hurricane Harvey is estimated to have inflicted upwards of $150 billion in property damage, and for many communities, it could be months or even years before they fully recover. As they assess the extent to which Rockport Hurricane Harvey wind damage has affected them, property owners in Rockport are in the unenviable position of trying to decide whether or not to remain after such tragic losses. Whatever they determine is their best course moving forward, they still have available the prospect of filing a claim with their property insurance company.
Dealing with your insurance company for any kind of claim can be a daunting experience. Add to that the fact your insurance company is likely being inundated with myriad claims from entire communities, and the challenge of their workload increases tremendously. It’s easy to feel that you may get lost in the shuffle. An experienced attorney can be of valuable assistance in such a situation, and we encourage you to contact one of our Rockport hurricane wind insurance claims lawyers. In the meantime, there are some actions you can take that will ease the frustration you face in the aftermath of Rockport Hurricane Harvey wind damage.
- First, contact your insurance company to file your claim. Nothing can happen until you initiate the claims process.
- Second, take photos and video of your damages and send them to your insurance claim adjuster. This is often the best way to document your loss and simultaneously provide extra safeguards for yourself.
- Third, keep detailed records of your conversations with your claims adjuster. In the event you reach an impasse or there is a discrepancy of information, this will be a means of clarifying what your insurance company committed to do.
- Fourth, take reasonable steps to mitigate your damages. Your insurance policy likely has a clause expecting you to secure your property in such a way that prevents further damage and loss. Be sure to do this as long as it’s safe to do so.
- Fifth, protect yourself against fraud. A lot of individuals in Rockport posing as repair or recovery contractors will attempt to solicit your business. They’re playing on the anxiety you may feel to get back to normal as quickly as possible. Legitimate contractors will be licensed and be able to provide proof of this. Be sure not to fall into the trap of hiring the first person who says they can repair your home cheaply and quickly. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Even after taking all of these steps towards returning to your pre-storm life, you may find yourself at odds with the claims process or in a place where your insurance company is not being as responsive as you would hope. When this happens, we suggest calling us and speaking with one of our lawyers.
The team of dedicated attorneys at Carabin & Shaw is already hard at work to assist those affected by Rockport Hurricane Harvey wind damage. Our lawyers have the resources and experience to help you navigate the often complicated hurricane claims process and will be diligent to explain what you can expect.
If you’re one of the many filing Rockport hurricane claims, this is the time when your insurance company should be working with you, not against you. Carabin & Shaw is committed to making sure that happens. Your first consultation with one of our attorneys is completely free of charge and without obligation. If you would like to meet with one of our lawyers in Rockport, call our local office at 361.790.7788, or you can reach us any time of day toll-free at 1.800.862.1260.