San Antonio Swimming Pool Accidents | Drowning & Severe Injuries
Swimming pools in San Antonio, and all over Texas, are great for relaxation and recreation, but can sometimes be deadly. Drowning and severe injuries related to swimming pools can happen to anyone, and may be more common than you’d think. According to the Centers for Disease Control, about 10 people in the US die every day from drowning. About one in five of these people are children under the age of 14. If you or someone you love has been the victim of a severe injury or drowning, you need to contact a San Antonio personal injury attorney. An attorney can help you understand if your case involves negligence. Nobody should have to face tragedy alone, and Carabin Shaw is on your side.Leading Causes of Drowning in Swimming Pools
Drowning in a San Antonio swimming pool happens quickly and can go unnoticed. Most people think of flailing swimmers screaming for help when they picture a drowning accident, but often it happens silently and swiftly. If you or a loved one has suffered from a swimming pool accident, you should call a San Antonio accident attorney right away. There are a number of ways that someone can drown in a pool:
- Inadequate swimming skills - Children might lack the skills to keep themselves above water for extended periods of time resulting in an accidental drowning. Children who have had swimming lessons are less likely to drown.
- Lack of, or defective, flotation devices - Children and weak swimmers commonly need flotation devices such as water wings, inner tubes, or life vests. If these devices are not worn or if they are defective, it can lead to drowning. Contact a lawyer if you believe defective flotation devices caused an accident.
- Improper fencing or barricades - There are strict regulations regarding the fencing and barricades around a pool. If these are not followed, children can access a pool unintentionally. Improper barricades often constitute negligence on the pool owner’s behalf. Contact an attorney to ensure that negligent property owners pay.
- Lack of supervision or negligent supervision - Supervision plays a key role in preventing drowning accidents. Lifeguards have a duty of care when it comes to supervising swimmers and if they are distracted or inattentive for any reason, this can spell negligence. If you believe a drowning related accident was caused by negligent supervision, contact a San Antonio personal injury attorney today.
- Entrapment - When water rushes out of a pool’s drain, suction is created. Entrapment occurs when someone gets held underwater by that suction. Entrapment can lead to drowning and partial drowning injuries such as long term brain and lung damage. If faulty or outdated equipment caused your accident, contact a swimming pool accident attorney to pursue damages.
- Acute spinal cord injury and paralysis: usually caused by diving accidents or broken diving boards
- Electrocution: can result from improper wiring or poorly maintained pool areas
- Concussions and head trauma: tied to slip and fall accidents
- Chemical burns or irritation: caused by overuse of pool cleaning chemicals
San Antonio swimming pool accidents can be devastating and you need someone on your side. Seeking medical attention as soon as possible after an accident is crucial not only for your safety, but the medical documents can also aid your San Antonio personal injury attorney in court. With the help of a swimming pool accident attorney, you can build a case that may get you the money you deserve. Each case is multi-faceted and understanding the details takes the expertise of a seasoned San Antonio accident attorney. Carabin Shaw will fight for you. To speak to a lawyer today, call us at 210-222-2288.